Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Omaha Beach Sailors

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Michael Akkerman, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Michael Akkerman

Michael Akkerman New Member

In need of information regarding US Navy sailors. I am an artist doing a drawing for a man whose father was a US Navy sailor aboard a LCT at Omaha Beach on D-Day. This man's father manned a 50 caliber machine gun aboard his LCT during the landings. I have many pictures of him in his formal navy dress uniform, but none of him in combat attire which he would have been wearing on D-Day.

I know the uniforms and equipment used by the engineers of the 6th and 7th Naval Beach Battalions, but I know very little about US Navy sailor combat uniforms, gear, helmets, designations, etc. and particularly in the ETO. I have been able to find some photos, but I don't know the official names and designations of their uniforms, life vests, helmets, and what all the markings mean.

From the photos I've seen, they seem to be wearing a dark uniform of some kind (might be dark blue, black, or olive green, I don't know), a life vest (Kapok I think), and some wearing regular M1 helmets and others wearing gigantic "talker" helmets for headsets. Their life vests sometimes have letters or numbers on them (don't know what they mean) and some helmets have a gray stripe painted all the way around the rim (again, I don't know the significance of the gray stripe), some have "USN" painted on the face of their helmets, and some don't have anything on their helmets.

Could you please provide me with some information or links on the US Navy uniforms that would have been worn by sailors aboard the landing crafts on Omaha Beach? Thank you.

-Mike
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]