Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

One of Hitlers Nazi Spoons

Discussion in 'Other Militaria' started by Pamedic13, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Pamedic13

Pamedic13 Member

My roommate and I were talking about WWII, She then showed me a spoon that her grandfather took off of one of Hitlers Trains... Tell me what you think. View attachment 14287

Attached Files:

2. RRCOLLECTOR

RRCOLLECTOR Member

Where is the 'AH'?

3. Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff Semi-Frightening Mountain Goat

Nice! What do the letters D and R stand for, just out of curiosity?

4. Pamedic13

Pamedic13 Member

Honestly, I don't know, If anyone has an idea, I would love to know. I just took the photo today, I didn't know she even had it.

5. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Deutsche Reichsbahn
    - literally, German Railways.

This is a nice item ; a spoon from a dining car or large station restaurant of the Nazi-era German State Railways and quite collectable.

However, there's sadly nothing to definitively prove a Hitler connection. It could well have come from a train used by him, but cutlery used by the Fuhrer ( and certainly on his own Fuhrersonderzug ) was marked with an 'AH' monogram.

6. Volga Boatman

Volga Boatman Dishonorably Discharged

Could this be from Goering's train, 'Asia'?

The number of persons in the Third Reich with access to a personal train would have been quite limited. Was Hermann vain enough to have his own cutlery? Would it have been specially embossed 'Luftwaffe Cutlery' with the Air Force Eagle, rather than the State bird? If not, then he probably had regular DR cutlery for 'Asia'.

There will be someone out there with an answer to this. Theres bound to be. Even 3R cutlery attracts expert opinion from collectors.

7. Pamedic13

Pamedic13 Member

This was also on the back side of the spoon if this helps anyone please let me know.

Attached Files:

8. RRCOLLECTOR

RRCOLLECTOR Member

Some folks are really reaching here.....it's a nice Reichsbahn spoon...enjoy it for what it is.

9. Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff Semi-Frightening Mountain Goat

Of course!!!! How'd I forget that. I truly have been away from here too long. Thanks Martin!

10. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Martin beat me on this one. It is indeed a Reichbahn spoon. It's a nice relic but nothing exceptionnal. It came from a nazi train which could be "any" train used by the RB during the war. It's worht about 20 euros. For those who like Reichbahn's relics I posted a picture of my Reichbahn lamp in the militaria section last year (couldn(t find the link though)

11. ynot

ynot Member

Any one know where I can get a DR ( as pictured above)spoon? At a reasonable price, or even a repro.

Tony

12. Pamedic13

Pamedic13 Member

I just found this............. about the spoon. This is a raised edge tablespoon. It is marked with the raised letters "DR" and the eagle emblem on the front of the handle.The train number "243" is stamped on the back side in small numbers, and the maker mark (a B and Locomotive with 90 silver content mark). It measures 7-1/4 inches long.This pieces shows years of wear and long service. The condition is used, with tarnish and signs of age. The asking price is 1500.00 from Silver flatware

He has cheaper ones that were not on a train.​

13. RRCOLLECTOR

RRCOLLECTOR Member

Oh Lord...you really shouldn't use Snyder's site if you would like to keep any legitimacy in a conversation ...he also has a pair of Eva's undies if anyone is interested.:shiner:

Rich

14. Pamedic13

Pamedic13 Member

Is he that bad?:eek: His prices seemed a bit... off... lol

15. ynot

ynot Member

Bugga that, too pricey just for a train spoon. Incidently I am into railways, not the Nazi bit for any one wondering.​

16. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

DR items frequently turn up at European militaria fairs ( but I see you're in Australia...) or on Deutsche E-Bay. You need to be patient and continually search ( but hey, that's the essence of collecting ). Online militaria dealers are another source but always charge higher prices ( usually +50% over militaria fair prices ).

DR cutlery/tableware etc doesn't have the 'cachet' among collectors as do, say, Luftwaffe or Wehrmacht items and doesn't - yet - command such high prices. AFAIK ( although RRCollector will probably put me straight on this....:eek: ) the lower market values mean that 'repro' DR items are less common.

Really, all that 'Hitler' 'Goering' 'Eva Braun' stuff to me is highly nebulous and speculative. RRCollector's previous post is right - that spoon is a nice item in its own right and I for one would be pleased if it were in my collection.......

Pamedic13 likes this.
  17. Volga Boatman

Volga Boatman Dishonorably Discharged

Martin, I thought you would apreciate the historical value of a pair of genuine Eva Braun knickers, or one of Goring's skirts, or Hitler's mouthwash.

Certainly expands our knowledge of the conflict, yes sirree!

18. VonBond

VonBond Member

I think it is possible to work out which train the spoon was from, by the number on the back, but sadly, I cannot tell you how to do this. I read this somewhere but I forget where it was. Agree though, it is a bogstandard DR spoon, but worth having in a collection. I have a couple of forks, one for the KM and one for the Heer or Nasdap, with a generic eagle.

Regards,

Jerry