Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

One of my pre war photos

Discussion in 'Photographs and Documents' started by Heartfeltzero, Feb 21, 2022.

1. Heartfeltzero

Heartfeltzero Active Member

I’m still learning a lot when it comes to pre war uniforms. I’m assuming the two guys with black pants is some form of SA? I could be wrong though. B85BDE43-C1CE-4069-9D9F-FFFC32C726C4.jpeg

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

3. ltdan

ltdan Active Member

Seems to be the SS "traditional suit", worn from 1925 to 1935.
    Brown shirt and black "breeches" were the mainstays of this service suit.
    Since no standardized way of wearing it was known, this uniform was quite soon replaced
    by an almost completely black suit, identical for all members of the SS.

Kai-Petri and Heartfeltzero like this.
  4. Heartfeltzero

Heartfeltzero Active Member

Thank you for the info!

5. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Btw, was Himmler involved in creating the final black/summer white uniform? At least I read he was the commander of the SS to Make it "whole"?

6. ltdan

ltdan Active Member

In a nutshell:
    The uniform of the General SS between 1929 and 1932 was still strongly oriented on that of the SA. This was to show everyone that the SS was "only" a subdivision of the SA as a whole. The "traditional suit" mentioned above
    On November 7, 1930, Hitler decreed that the SS was only formally subordinate to the Supreme SA leadership and that no SA leader was authorized to give orders to the SS. Thus, the SS was now an "autonomous component" of the SA.
    Heinrich Himmler now began to dress the SS uniformly in black breeches and boots and black belt gear. This was the first visible step of the later sub-organization "SS" to become an independent "fighting organization".
    In 1932, the Hugo Boss company received an order from the NSDAP to produce standardized uniforms for its "fighting organizations. This included the black SS uniform

Kai-Petri likes this.