Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

One "Spit" and only one.

Discussion in 'World War 2 Hobbies' started by Hoosier phpbb3, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Hoosier phpbb3

Hoosier phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    So, I have this new 1/48 scale Spitfire Vb that will hit the workbench 'fore long. I've got some tough decisons to make in the meantime.
    I only have room in my collection--due to space mostly--for one Spitfire variant. Should I build it as the clipped-wing version that specialized in low-level work in North Africa with the Aboukir air-filter? (Cool-looking for sure, but those stubby wings do look a little odd, eh?)
    OR
    The regular-wing Vb with traditional Spitfire-tips and the Vokes air-filter? (The Vokes is a much-larger unit that somewhat spoils the classic Spitfire lines in my estimation.)
    I'm firmly on the fence at this point.
    Another option would be a Vb from a completely different theatre of operation than North Africa. Different decals, camoflauge...

Since this will be my ONLY Spitfire, which Vb theatre/camo-pattern best represents this famous war-bird?

Tim

2. Hoosier phpbb3

via TanksinWW2
    Not to worry... I'll figure it out.
    That clipped-wing version IS distinctive, but something about those true elliptical tips scream Spitfire.

Tim

3. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I like the more traditional look.

4. redcoat

redcoat Ace

via TanksinWW2
    To be honest, this is something which has to be your choice.
    But if you are asking for my choice I would go for North Africa and keep the wing tips.
    It was in the MTO that the Mk V made its most important contribution to the Allied war effort, and you can even put it in USAAF markings ;)

5. TISO

TISO New Member

via TanksinWW2
    For Mk Vb you have a range of possibilities (there was practicly no front where the bird did not participate):
    UK:
    Channel, Africa (i particulary like cliped wing with Aboukir filter by Ira R. Gleed coded IRG with felix the cat).

Italy:
    Yugoslav (they did have 2 MkVb's which the traded with Italians for Vc's) i built one.

VVS:
    Kuban (57. GIAP) (i already have decals for white 538 in 1/72), Leningrad PVO, Moscov PVO....

Burma, India, PNG

6. Hoosier phpbb3

via TanksinWW2
    Thanks for the feedback guys.
    I'm still torn... ultimate solution may in fact be one of each, though my display-space is quite limited. The Spit does look sharp in North-African scheme with clipped wing-tips, but I'm leaning towards a traditional Spitfire look.
    ----------------
    Another considered option would be a "Malta" MkVb Spitfire flown by George "Screwball" Beurling, Canadas' top-ace of the war. He was known as "The Falcon of Malta" or the "Knight of Malta" in honor of his deeds there.
    I've seen some photos of a rather spectacular Spitfire of his with Med blue camo and yellow rudder. Very striking.
    Ah, decisions, decisions. It's difficult to do this great aircraft justice with only one example.

Tim