Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Operation RYPE

Discussion in 'Codes, Cyphers & Spies' started by TD-Tommy776, Jun 2, 2013.

1. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

This came to my attention while I was reviewing the history of the 99th Infantry Battalion (Separate).

RYPE was an OSS operation which had as it's goal to delay the movement of 150,000 German troops from Norway to Germany, thus preventing them from participating in the final battles in Germany. The British Navy made a sea transport impossible. The roads were virtually impassable due to snow. This left rail transport as the best option for the Germans and a obvious strategic target for the Allies.

The officer who lead the operation was Major William E. Colby, who later became the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency. The personnel for this operation came from both the OSS and a select group of soldiers from the 99th Infantry Battalion (Separate).

Here is an article on the CIA website:
    A Look Back...The Office of Strategic Services: Operation RYPE

Also from the CIA website, an article written by William Colby:
    OSS Operations in Norway: Skis and Daggers

Here is an OSS Operational Groups which includes a list of personnel:
    Norwegian Operational Group, Unit NORSO1

This page from the 99th Infantry Bn. (Separate) website also contains photos:
    Operation RYPE/NORSO

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I just came across this webpage with photos taken in 1999 & 2011 at the B-24 crash site in Plukkutjønnfjell, Norway. Apparently, at least some of the crash debris is still there. Only in Norway...

There are a few lines of text that are in Norwegian. Here is a rough translation per Google Translate: