Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Order of Battle/384th eng bn/sep/cld

Discussion in 'North Africa: Operation Torch to Surrender of Tuni' started by cosmos8, Apr 5, 2009.

1. cosmos8

cosmos8 recruit

I am looking for the Order of Battle for the 384th eng bn/sep/cld, from Ft. Bragg, N.C. They would have been in N. Africa in 1943, in France and Italy 1944 and Rheingonheim, Germany, in 1945. I found out that they were discharged as the 384th med. bn/sep/cld. Why would that be??

I have searched everywhere and I was lucky to find the info above. I got the Order of Battle suggestion from Gary Noller, who also has a WWII site.

I would appreciate any and all info.
    thanks,
    cosmos8

Johnesgef likes this.
  2. BWilson

BWilson Member

Shelby Stanton's work notes that these separate battalions were consolidated into Engineer General Service Regiments "as officers became available". It could be that this battalion was an odd man out after consolidation occurred and was converted into a medical unit. I don't have an OOB but I believe these units had three companies. Separate battalions were not authorized machine guns and were primarily armed with rifles and carbines. The table of organization was 5-35, dated 1 April 1942. Interestingly, Stanton's work does not mention conversion of this battalion to a medical unit.

Cheers

BW

3. cosmos8

cosmos8 recruit

Thanks BW.

4. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Converting a general service engineer battalion to a medical unit would be highly out of the ordinary. I just don't see that happening. And you are correct, Stanton's book shows it as a general service engineer unit staffed by colored soldiers, to use the parlance of the day.

5. Carl W Schwamberger

Carl W Schwamberger Ace

They may have been transffered to a medical unit for administrative purposes. As the army was demobilized and packed home men with too few 'discharge 'points' were left behind in europe as their battalions were dissolved. those were transfered to other units as place holders until their turn came.