Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Order of the hundred musketeers

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Kai-Petri, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I read that this medal was given during WW2 to only ca. 100 Italian soldiers. However not much info in the net. Anyone know more/pics?

Thanx!

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

3. Trud3r

Trud3r Member

Kai-Petri likes this.
  4. Trud3r

Trud3r Member

5. Trud3r

Trud3r Member

the last link is exactly what you were looking for I think

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I think so,too! Thank you very much! Also great pics of the M division men I presume.

7. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

The M division was an armoured division, numbered 134 after Centauro (131), Ariete (132), and Littorio (133), partly equipped with German equipment and raised in May 1943 from regular army and MVSN units. The M units raised by the RSI were not division strength.
    134ª Divisione corazzata "M" - Wikipedia

The Arditi were a WW1 special group of trench assault troops disbanded after the war, many veterans later joined the fascist movement. But not WW2 at all.
    IIRC their official symbol was the skull biting the knife.

8. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Did the M division have Tigers? I can see they had Pz III and IV´s and StuG´s...

General Cerica in Deakin´s book "The brutal friendship" claims they had 36 Tigers but that seems quite high a figure to me.

9. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

There is a story about "Italian tigers" and some Italian tankers did train for tiger.
    [​IMG]
    I think the 36 Tigers of the M division were probably just planned, though there are many mentions of them on the net. Even the other panzers, and those are confirmed as some pictures of them exist, were eventually taken back by the Germans and didn't fight with Italian crews.
    The ufficio storico book I have quotes the vehicles of the M division as comming from SS stocks not army so confirming the M was a very "political" unit, my idea is the Tigers were in the pipeline but when the division was renamed Centauro II after the overthrow of Mussolini, and took a less political connotation by diluting the MSVN component the Germans lost interest in delivering them.