Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Orders?

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by Metzger, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Metzger

Metzger New Member

Hi all. Well here is a bit about me using the form on the New Member Questionnaire page. Please feel free to ask any questions.

1. Your Name: Whats your name? What would you like to be called? How did you come up with your member-name?

My name is Neil and my username is Metzger I am happy to be called either.

I came up with the name when I decided to make a WW2 impression of a German soldier.

Konrad Alois Metzger
    Born September 1893
    Place of birth. Hamburg
    Place of enlistment: Recruiting Office Hamburg III, Wehrkreis X
    Date of enlistment: 10 March 1938
    Unit: 1 Batt. J.R. 76 (mot) under Lieutenant Colonel Schrepffer
    The regimental headquarters was provisionally in Hamburg-Altona, then Hamburg-Rahlstedt.

I have a full bio dating back to his service in WW1 if anyone would like to see it. Somewhere along the way I played around with his bio for the 30's and made a second impression as a police detective.

2. Age: How old are you? How long have you been interested in WWII?

I am 51 years old and I have been interested in WWII since I was old enough to watch the epic black and white war films on TV as a boy. I had a Grandfather and several Great Uncles that served in the war. My other Grandfather was not eligible for service due to his profession. He had, however, served in India against the Afghans in the early 1930's with the Gordon Highlanders.
    3. Origins: Where are you from?

Scotland.
    4. Specifics: What areas of WWII are you interested in? What would you like to know more about?

Mainly German military history. I have a passion for the Mauser Karabiner 98 Kurtz. I am going to be buying one from a friend next year when I finally manage to get everything in place to get my license (gun cabinet etc.). I have fired the rifle on a range with my friend supervising.
    5. Hobbies: What sort of Hobbies do you have? Are any related to World War II?
    Wargaming? Video-games? Memorabilia? Visiting historic sites?

I visit historical sites through the year to see re-enactments. I may join a society next year. I like shooting, camping, archery, cooking and making alcohol. I also play MOHAA. I used to be in a clan about 8 years ago but work started to get busier and I had to drop the online playing.
    6. Other: What other time periods are you interested in? Specific eras? Why?

The War between the States (American Civil War). I used to take part in Re-enacting the ACW many years ago. It has always remained an interest for me.
    7. Miscellaneous: Anything else you'd like to share with us?

I hate neck ties. I mean, how stupid is it to start the morning by tying a noose around your neck?

2. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome to the forums! I also used to do archery 'til it aggravated an old shoulder injury I'm now getting physio for.
    Whereabouts are you? I'm in Stirling.

3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome Neil, 'tis good to have you join us.

4. Metzger

Metzger New Member

Thanks both.

I am in Telford in Shropshire for now Gordon. I hail from Elgin in Morayshire, however, I have relatives in the Stirling/Dunblane area. My Great Uncle Louis Gordon used to be a boxer round there.

5. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Welcome! Glad we don't have to jump through so may hoops to get a WWII era bolt action rifle.

6. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

G'day and welcome! I have kin in Glengarry...Glad the commonwealth didnt lose the mighty Scots...Would have been a sore loss.
    I must sound simple here...but whats an impression?

7. Metzger

Metzger New Member

Hi there and thanks.

You don't sound simple at all. An impression is what re-enactors call the 'history' of the character they portray. Some re-enactors just participate and have little to do with the public and never work out a background for their soldier; others make up an impression. I hope that helps.

8. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Welcome to the Forum, Neil.

9. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Hoops for guns..... I can't even get a british bayonet from ww2 trhough Australian customs, last one got destroyed......a valueable piece of history destroyed because it is considered a dangerous weapon, yeah it is going to be real dangerous sitting in glass cabinet under lock and key and how is it any more dangerous then the 8" butchers knife they sell at the shops....really.

Rant over,

Welcome matey.

10. Ruud

Ruud Member

Welcome Neil.
    @ Tomcat: in Holland the same: at a local miltar market i understood you are not allowed to buy immitation german handgrenates as a total 'piece" the steel has to be sold seperately from the charge. Beacasue people might think it is a real one. At 5 meters further there was a stand on which you could buy a M1 Garant and K98 and Lee Enfield etc. The only way to tell it was de-activated was to take a good look down de barrel. I think everybody would run like hell if you saw someone waving a gun and you can not tell the difference.

11. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

You don't wave fake weapons around here, you might shot by a real one.

When I played paintball many moons ago, we had a 16 year old boy in our group who thought it would be funny to ride down a busy city street late at night and shoot paintballs at other cars. His second or third one was his undoing, as the occupants of that vehicle thought they were being shot ar by a real firearm; all they could see was the barrel of a "gun" and could hear thuds from something hitting their car. The occupants of the targeted car were armed with real weapons and promptly returned fire, thankfully not hitting anyone in the young boy's vehicle.

We banned the young man from playing with our group after that.

12. Ruud

Ruud Member

Good decission, Jeff.