Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Otto - Caprock Canyons State Park - Quitaque, Texas, USA

Discussion in 'WW2 Forums/Forces Postal Service' started by Otto, Jun 2, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Otto

Otto GröFaZ Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Username: Otto
    Sent: 30 May, 2022
    Postmark: 31 May, 2022
    From: Caprock Canyons State Park & Trailway - Quitaque, Texas, USA

More exploration of the Great State of Texas, this time to Caprock Canyons State Park with the Otto clan and some friends. The temperature was north of 100°F (38°C) all day, but we decided to continue with our planned 8 mile hike. Our group included my eight year old son and five year old daughter, which posed obvious challenges, but they soldiered on resolutely. The Texas panhandle is notorious for being incredibly dry along with the heat, so no one actually got sweaty, which poses a high risk of dehydration. Plenty of water bottles made the travels through the beautiful desert possible. I wen through an entire gallon water myself, and had a salty breakfast of sausage, bacon, and eggs to help mitigate the water loss.

Bison were everywhere, we came across about 50 during our hike, about a quarter of which were calves. I was surprised to see the Bison calves were an eye catching red color, locals sometimes call them as “red dogs”. Bison can be dangerous, so it's good to keep your distance, but they are much less likely to bother you in the heat. Every one was walking around with their tongues literally hanging out of their mouths.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Remember to check the WW2 Forums/Forces Postal Service Map for a look at our growing list of all WW2F/FPS submissions.