Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Otto's Back

Discussion in 'WWII Forums News' started by Otto, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I'm referring to my actual back, as in spine, although I am back in actions as well.

The last time I was active here was around November of 2012, at that time I was working to improve this site and restore it to it's former activity levels. There were several offers for donations and other assistance, but I was forced to step away from the virtual world, shamefully without any notice to the good membership. Unfortunately, I have repeated this cycle for the past few years, so much so I've rightfully earned the title "Ghost GröFaZ". I now feel need to push aside my natural tendency for privacy and detail why I have been in and out of action. I need to come clean.

A few years back I began having severe leg pain, it affected my ability to move, sit, and sleep. As my back never hurt, only me legs did, it took several doctor visits to determine the cause of my trouble was a degenerative disc and arthritic vertebrae. By mid 2011, I was using a cane and unable to sit at all. My computer at work sat on an elevated platform where I would stand. To sleep I was using powerful narcotic painkillers which provided their own flavour of difficulties. Any surgery terrifies me, especially invasive procedures where my spine is opened up, as such my doctors and I came up with a plan to treat the problem with the least invasive procedure likely to be of help. By November of 2012 I had been subjected to three medical procedures, without any significant improvement. At that time, I had a rather serious bout where in addition to the normal excruciating pain, I lost some bladder malfunctions and the loss of use of my left leg. I was rushed into my 4th surgical procedure, where I was subjected to a rebuild of my lower back (see image below). The recovery was an agonizingly slow, painful process, but I'm happy to say that I am today writing this message sitting (yes sitting!) at my home computer. My cane is still by the door, but I only use her rarely these days. Today, I am a mere shadow of the active person I used to be, but I can walk, sit, have no need for painkillers, and I start physical therapy early in March.

The good members here have shown me a great deal of support and loyalty, despite not knowing any of this. My appreciation for your participation & contributions is immeasurable, a sincere thanks to you all. I hope you will continue to support this great place, especially knowing that I am now able to be a real admin, not just the unknown, absent guy who pays the domain registration, & hosting fees.

I'd also like to give a truly boisterous, rousing salute to Jeff "Slipdigit" Rogers. He was the one entrusted with the day-to-day grind of being the true admin here, while dealing with an admin that would rarely answer his emails or phone, and all the while protecting my rigid requests for privacy. He was the only person here who knew fully what was going on with me. Jeff you are a true gentleman, every single member here owes you a debt of gratitude. Thanks you so much for keeping this place on it's feet. I sincerely could not have done it without you.

View attachment 18465
    Here is an x-ray of the hardware in my spine. For the medically inclined, the problem is between my L5/S1 vertebrae. The metalwork is clearly visible, what doesn't show up very well on this image is the plastic "cage" placed between my vertebrae to shore up the non-existent disc. The small white specs visible between the screws is that "cage."

Well now, I feel much better getting that out in the open. I'm off to walk the dogs.:)

Attached Files:

Ruud, FalkeEins, USMCPrice and 13 others like this.
  2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Glad to hear this.

3. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

It' a great day in the neighborhood ! That little salute above is for many reasons. Number One: starting this site in the first place and along with "slipdigit" keeping it going in a time of unimaginable pain and stress. I've been given the privilege to serve as a moderator and accepted wholly on the basis of the exceptional folks you've enlisted, so that's another reason. You've put together one of the finest websites, if not the best, for WW2 related information sharing and for that I thank you again.
    Better stop or I'll just be accused of 'buttering up' the Boss.
    Which I'm sure I'll be accused of anyway.

Welcome back to the fold, Lead On

4. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

That's the weakest cover story I've ever read for several years of racketeering & violence; even the gun-running network couldn't be covered by that nonsense.
    And what about the poor girls at the Ranch? You do them such a disservice by not mentioning them at all.
    They look up to you 'Big O'... well... they did until that incident in Dubrovnic, but we all swore never to speak of that again.

(Oh, and Inspector Knacker rang again; Is it the usual Horses head, or do I have to find another Giraffe?)

Sloniksp likes this.
  5. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I am more interested in that you are healthy once again, Otto. Other than a few rough spots here and there, the forum has purred along quite well sans your daily presence. By and large we have a great crowd of people in and out of here everyday and I am surprised at what I learn from their comments.

Now that your back is on the mend, get to work.:D

6. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

Alas....I have found a twin.....I also carry 4 screws, 4 clamps and two titanium rods as the jack in my back.......the other cage is a new development I didn't get. I expected to return 100% after the surgery so I struggled until I was.......sadly I took work that forced me to carry a few heavy loads and little did I know it would damage more discs and I did get 10 years of work out of it all before more discs began to deteriorate. So my advice is do the therapy as required...there may be some pain to that......then unlike me do not press your luck working at hard jobs..........they cannot build jacks in the back all the way up your spine......although you may find surgeons telling you they can (they go for money)..... Now most of the time if you walk quickly at airports through the gate you may not trigger the alarms, however if you walk slow or take international flights you will..... as they turn up the machines for international flights. You will get the stares when repeatedly you set off the machines....they just ignored my paperwork describing my metallic interior. Otto, good luck and God speed on that recovery....mine took longer than they said. My left leg was perfect before the operation, but a little nick on the spine while carving away arthritis bone....left my left leg wanting to drag....so I had to rehab that . I am still better off although the other discs give me pain so you must avoid that! Good Luck!

7. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Quit buttering up the boss, Rog.

Prophecy fulfilled. ;)

Back to being serious.

Thanks for filling us in on your situation, Otto. It's great to have you and your back back. I am very pleased to hear that you are now without pain. Having back and neck problems myself (though not nearly as serious as yours), I can empathize with how excruciatingly painful and debilitating it can be. I couldn't agree more with you on the job that Jeff has done. And I second what Biak said, including all that buttering up stuff.

Cheers! :cheers:

8. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Jeez Otto, you don't have your troubles to seek.
    Good to see you back anyway.:cool:

9. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I'm glad you have returned to us. As a stroke victim, I can attest to your need for a cane (which I no longer use) and the importance of physical therapy. I can also say that my recovery was aided by this site, and the role Jeff played in that recovery. From his contact with my daughter and reading several drafts of his book, he aided more than I can say in that return to near normalcy.

I hope you continue to respond positively to your treatment, and that you visit this fine place more frequently. It is truly a life saver.

Slipdigit likes this.
  10. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Okay, now you are piling on too deep.

11. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

Group Hug!
    I just know Jeff'll hate a group hug as much as I do...
    (And nobody hug Otto too tight; sounds like he may snap.)

12. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Wlcome back,Otto, and it´s great to hear you´re feeling alot better!!!

13. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Ditto!

14. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Welcome back to the fold, Otto ! :)

15. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

Fantastic news and glad your back!!! You'll be 100% before you know it!

16. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Stop buttering up yer boss...

17. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

This place is full of cripples....Nice cripples but cripples...I feel a story coming on...The day the WW2 Forums disabled riders expiditionary force visited Mali for their annual biker ride picnic...

Welcome back Otto...Crip number one..We're a bunch of happy, limpy, ow me back, watch my foot, sorry can't hear you..who said that, where's me glasses, pain in the bum ww2 forum pill poppers...Apart from Poopy who is British and does not feel pain. Apart from in the bum...A right pain in the bum too..

18. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

He's not back yet, at this point he appeared in a blitz post.

19. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

It becomes second nature when you're an Office worker.

20. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

You're a good man Biak :cool: