Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Over Here

Discussion in 'ETO, MTO and the Eastern Front' started by Biak, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I have nearly finished a most impressive book. "Over Here - the GI's in Wartime Britain", Juliet Gardiner.
    First and foremost; Thank You urgh!!
    What hits the hardest is when you consider that Brokaw's book "The Greatest Generation" extolling the virtues & sacrifices of the American Soldiers and US Citizens during WW2. Reading this book, those inconveniences pale in light of the austere conditions endured by our Allies. Something that really stands out to me that I had not fully considered or maybe just didn't realize before, is the Geographical area comparison. If one considers the whole of the UK, (England, Scotland & Wales) would nearly fit within the borders of Minnesota. Needing just a sliver of Wisconsin to hold the rest.
    The hospitality of the British people welcoming into their homes of US Soldiers. Not enough for themselves and not merely sharing the meager rations but insisting on it. We had our "Victory Gardens" while The British version might be a couple of plants growing along the border fence. Two "almost" the same Cultures colliding head-on and combining to create a lasting Friendship strengthened forever by our shared sense of Honor, Duty & Country.

"Over Here" should be in everyone's Library who has an interest in WW2.

2. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Excellent book..;.It should be on all out Yank cousins bookshelves. And Brits as well to remind us of the only time we've been invaded with generosity rather than the sword.

3. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Still, there were a lot of complaints about the Yanks not boiling the slappy hams properly and taking the last biscuit.

4. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Yes but we don't mind you taking the last biscuit...Your biscuit and our biscuit are not even the same animal...I could never imagine dipping my hob nob in a plate of gravy.

5. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Did somebody say Biscuit's and Gravy......

6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Thanks for the report on this book. The difficulties experienced by the Americans, while I knew the suffering of the British, are as nothing in comparison. Your reporting on this book shows those extremities. This is definitely on my reading list.

7. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

A most interesting book.
    Now for : "Buddhism for Sheep"! Don't ask :) After I look up "dipping my hob nob in a plate of gravy" that is.

8. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Then there was that scandal about Eisenhower claiming he took a ride on the queens boat...

9. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Here is part of what Mr. Sanford had to say about the British in our book, Old Hickory Recon:

10. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

The book Turning the Tide touches these shortages tangentially. When the convoy system improved, so did the variety of the British diet, but that wasn't until late 1943 or 1944.