Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

P38 Found Off Italy

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by GRW, Nov 30, 2023.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Bet none of you knew the P38 was a fighter jet.
    No really, there's no need to thank me.
    "A fighter plane that vanished in a daring raid on Italy just days before the Allies invaded, has been found, solving a mystery that’s endured since the Second World War.
    Warren Singer, a US airman, disappeared with his P-38 Lightning on August 25, 1943, during an attack on Italian airfields near Foggia, in the east of the country.
    The mission was to take out Italy’s air force and it was a great success, destroying 65 enemy planes, at the cost of seven P-38s.
    But 2nd Lt Singer never reached his target, and Air Force records show he was last seen flying near Manfredonia, a town 22 miles east of Foggia.
    Now, 80 years later, divers have found the wreckage of Singer’s plane 12 metres (40ft) beneath the Gulf of Manfredonia."
    WW2 mystery solved as missing US fighter plane discovered 80 years after vanishing | World | News | Express.co.uk

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

If it has turrets it's a battleship, ja?

3. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Correct, thank you.

4. OpanaPointer

And Istvan(?) is the only battleship that blew up a few dozen times while being called something else. Forgot which one was the lucky star.

5. Carronade

Carronade Ace

If you're thinking of the Austrian Szent Istvan, she was torpedoed on the starboard side. A movie cameraman on another ship was filming and got a great sequence of her rolling over with crewmen running around the deck and then the side as she went; it often shows up in moves or war documentaries. Haven't seen any blowing up.

She was hit by an MAS boat commanded by Luigi Rizzo, and she was his second battleship, he had previously sunk the pre-dreadnought Wien in some harbor on the Adriatic coast.

GRW likes this.
  6. OpanaPointer

Which one blew right the hell up?

7. Carronade

Carronade Ace

You may be thinking of HMS Barham; torpedoed by a U-boat, she heeled over to port, still moving forward, and just as she was on her beam ends, superstructure starting to plow through the water, her magazines exploded. Again someone was filming, and the sequence often appears in programs about the war at sea.

8. OpanaPointer

I was literally thinking "OH, BARHAM!" while I was waiting for the thread to load.

Great minds think alike.

And so do ours!

9. OpanaPointer

The seawater went down the stacks and blew ALL the boilers that were lit off at the same time. That had to leave a hole in the water.