Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Painting Canopies

Discussion in 'World War 2 Hobbies' started by Boba Nette, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    If you're gonna be doing aircraft,make sure you have plenty of tape on hand for painting the canopies.What a pain in the ass.Taping and trimming the frames is the only reason I don't do many planes.An absolute pain in the ass.

2. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I get enough trouble keeping the canopies glue-free. I've never even dared to try painting one! :cry:

3. me262 phpbb3

me262 phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    yeap, but is the only way a plane will look good, thers is another way to paint the canopie with a liquid mask is call ez mask by ambroid, but also a pain in your rear area, but what the heck that is the hobby, enjoy it !!!

4. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Give it a try.It is a total pain in the ass but the effect is worth it.It really makes a plane such as a Stuka or Helldiver stand out.

5. me262 phpbb3

me262 phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    try this on 1/72 scale planes, that realy s****
    but as Sturmtiger pointed is worth it

6. Ricky

Ricky New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yeah - I use one of 2 methods:

1) by hand, with a very fine brush. Good for curved pieces that are hard to mask, and you can do the whole thing in one go. Problem - looks a bit 'wobbly', and it is easy to acidently paint over the clear bits.

2) masking tape. Since I lost my fine tape, I've just used ordinary masking tape. Problems - takes ages, as you can only do a couple of bits at a time, plus you get raised edges on the frames from the paint, plus it does not work easily for curved frames!

It is worth it, and I recommend the masking tape method on planes with a heavily framed cockpit for giving a really good effect.

7. Skua

Skua New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I paint canopies by freehand. I use a trimmed brush and it works fine for me, but then I´ve painted a lot of canopies and should have some practise by now. I do have one nice little trick though, it doesn´t work with enamels like Humbrol, you have to use acrylics ( I´ve only used Tamiya myself but it should work with any acrylics ). Any excess paint can easily be removed with a toothpick or a match. But don´t use plastic toothpicks as these can scratch the clear plastic.

8. Ricky

Ricky New Member

via TanksinWW2
    For enamels, if you want to remove any 'excess' paint, you have to wipe it off immediately with a tissue or cotton bud/Q Tip.
    I find cotton buds work best. It may smear a touch, but wiping the smear immediately with a cotton bud dipped in Thinners/white spirit should remove this.

Such wiping does, of course, mean that most of what you have painted will also be wiped off.

Quite frustrating.

Acrylics are brilliant for painting - easy to clean brushes, to remove 'spills', easy to paint with...
    Why do I use enamels?
    I was born stubborn!