Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Panzer III Ausf N Sd.Kfz. 141 at Kursk

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe February 1943 to End of War' started by Pavlov's dog, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Pavlov's dog

Pavlov's dog Member

I believe that Panzer III Ausf N Sd.Kfz. 141 supported tiger Tank Battalions during the Battle of Kursk ,, - Please could anyone confirm which Divisions or regiments they Served with

Many thanks in advance,

Jerry

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I´d suppose the Germans used all versions of Pz III during Zitadelle. Unfortunately cannot find any spesific numbers but here are the Schwere Panzer Units so you can check the ones who had Tigers in Zitadelle.

Tiger I Information Center - Unit Histories

Also some Pz III´s were used by Ferdinands as ammunition carriers.

3. Kevin Kenneally

Kevin Kenneally Member

Jerry,

Sad to say that the Tiger units in the Battle of Kursk were only at Company strength.

13th Company for SSLAH, SSDR & SSTk Panzer Divisions. The Gross Duetschland Division had a Tiger Company as well.

The Tiger Battalions were not fielded in Battalion strength until Aug 43, and then only with two Companies available. Not enough Tigers were build by then to field the "Special Panzer Divisions", nor field the Tiger Battalions as visioned by the Germans.

4. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

Think you are looking only at the south, according to a recent magazine article the following units had the Pz III Asf N in the northern pincer at Koursk, I have no info for the southern pincer
    20 in 10th panzer (no tigers)
    7 in panzerkompanie 313 (demolition unit with Borgward IVs)
    20 in 2nd Panzer (no tigers)
    5 in 20th Panzer (no tigers)
    15 in 4th Panzer (no tigers)
    6 in 12th Panzer (no tigers)

Schwere panzer abteilung 505 is reported having two companies and total strength was 31 tigers, 8 ausf N and 7 Pz III lang. The Tiger information center also reports 505 at Zitadelle with only two companies: 31 Tiger I's, 7 PzKpfw III Ausf. N, 8 PzKpfw III (kurz) a loss report from this unit mentions 2 tigers lost and 4 damaged due to enemy fire and 16 lost/damaged to mines plus 3 serious breakdowns.

In the same article there are photos of Ausf N in 9 kompanie Pz. reg. 11 (6th panzer) (actually panzerkampfgruppe von Oppeln-Bronikowski) and Pz regiment 3 (2nd panzer)

5. Timo

Timo Member

There were more Tiger units in action at Kursk. Schwere Panzer-Abteilung 505 as part of the 9. Armee (Model). At the start of the offensive they fielded two companies with a total of 31 Tigers and 15 Panzer III of which 7 Ausf. N. Three days later its 3rd company joined them.

Schwere Panzer-Abteilung 503 also saw action at Kursk. But against the wish of Guderian, who wanted deployment as a complete battalion, the three companies were assigned to and 6., 7. and 9. Panzer-Division. However, in April-May 1943 the battalion was converted from 20 Tigers and 31 Panzer III N to 45 Tigers so no Panzer III saw action with this unit at Kursk.

BTW, Kevin, note that LSSAH, DR and TK were not yet Panzer-Divisions at that time.

6. Pavlov's dog

Pavlov's dog Member

Many thanks for the information chaps , plenty of references to chase up there

Regards,

Jerry