Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Para-Ordnance "P" models vs M1911A1

Discussion in 'The Guns Galore Section' started by Blaster, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Blaster

Blaster New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I'm curious about how the 1911 would stand up to the Canadian Para-Ordnance pistols. They're both .45 ACP guns. But is one overall better than the other? And would the Pentagon have chosen the 9mm Beretta to be the standard Army and Marines sidearm if the gun to be replaced was any one of the Para-Ordnance models? I got some info from here:
    http://www.world.guns.ru/handguns/hg00-e.htm.
    I'm sure the 1911 info and the Para-Ordnance info can be found from there.

2. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I got to handle and fire a Para-Ordnance 14-45 a few times. Nicely finished with a smooth operation. Looks to be an advancement of the Browning design. Rather large and heavy though, not a good thing for those with small hands. Good pistols but a little on the expensive side. For a litle bit more money you can get into the Kimber 1911's. Some US SOCOM units and L.A. SWAT teams are using the Kimber.

The Para would not have stood a chance in being chosen by the Pentagon unless they would have been able to provide a 9mm pistol that wasn't overly large and heavy and with a deal that would have been better than Beretta.

3. Hoosier phpbb3

Hoosier phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Taurus is also bringing a new M1911 .45 cal to market. It has many custom touches--along the lines of the Kimber--as standard equipment, and is considered a tremendous bargain for the asking price.

Tim

4. Blaster

Blaster New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I think the Paras are either .45 ACP or .40 S&W, not 9mm.