Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Pearl Harbor attack first reported by Alaska short wave radio operator..

Discussion in 'Pearl Harbor' started by sniper1946, Dec 8, 2010.

1. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

Pearl Harbor attack first reported by Alaska short wave radio operator

By Heather A. Resz
    Frontiersman
    Published on Tuesday, December 7, 2010 5:12 PM AKST
    Though the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii killed more than 2,400 people, sank the USS Arizona and marked the U.S. entry into World War II, history has all but forgotten Alaskan Augie Hiebert’s unique role in the events of Dec. 7, 1941.

Hiebert’s daughter Robin A. Chlupach of Willow preserved the story in her 1992 book “Airwaves over Alaska: Story of Pioneer Broadcaster Augie Hiebert.” And the story is also part of the U.S. Senate Congressional record from June 26, 2003, when Hiebert’s actions were commended by the U.S. Senate.

He came to Alaska in 1939 and was operating a radio station in Fairbanks for Capt. Lathrop when he heard the first report on the raid on Pearl Harbor.

[​IMG]
    “He was operating his own short-wave radio when he heard the news,” his daughter said. “That’s what he did every morning — he got up every morning and got on his shortwave radio.”

He called the top military commander in Fairbanks and reported the radio transmission he’d heard, she said. His report was the first word military leaders in Alaska had of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Hiebert was a pioneer in radio and television broadcasting in Alaska. He also helped to establish Alaska’s first satellite station activated in 1970.

He died at the age of 90 on Sept. 13, 2007.

2. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Interesting story, Ray. I seem to remember when the Falklands were invaded in '82, a British ham heard a distress call from the islands and notified the MoD.

3. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I'd be interested in how they determined that.

4. Bryan Zero

Bryan Zero Member

These "among the first to report" big events in the war fascinate me... I'm unable to find the book anywhere, or many references to it online - booksellers, library, etc. May have to check out the book section.