Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

"Pearl Harbor"

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by formerjughead, Mar 24, 2010.

1. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

I know we have talked this thing to death; but, I don't think we have devoted a thread to bashing/ defending this movie.

Is there any part of this movie that does not suck? Besides the nurses and the B-25's.

C.Evans likes this.
  2. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

The computer generated air attack on Ford Island and the berthed BBs was pretty good.

3. formerjughead

There is no arguing the CGI was top shelf; but, when the CGI collided with the live action- Same four ships from different angles- not so much cool.

And when Cuba Gooding Jr, ala Dorrie Miller, rakes the ship next to him with 20mm while trying to shoot down the Zero.....not cool.

4. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I can honestly say I have never seen this movie. Or if I did I sure don't remember it. Which would lead one to believe I didn't care for it if I did.

C.Evans likes this.
  5. Gromit801

Gromit801 Member

Especially since Dorie Miller was at a .50 cal, and not a 20mm.

SOME of the CGI was nice, but a P-40 and a Zero flying between hangars? GAH!

It was a barf fest.

6. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I've never seen that Great Dane, but I was active on the board the company set up to promote it. Strangely enough, I never got banned.

7. Phantom of the Ruhr

Phantom of the Ruhr Member

Did he in fact shoot down any aircraft during the attack? Just curious.

I think the late Kenneth Taylor said it best when he called this movie "a piece of trash... over-sensationalized and distorted." Most of the characters were wooden and uninteresting (That includes historical and fictional), Alec Baldwin's portrayal of Doolittle was off the mark (I like to think he was channeling a bit of Patton when he played the part), the video game-like flying sequences made me cringe, and some of the acting was very Rambo-ish (Ben Affleck running through a field firing an M1911 at Japanese troops comes to mind).

I won't go into detail about the historical accuracies regarding planes and ships since they're both obvious and unavoidable. Bear in mind that few if any A6M2's, genuine Vals/Kates, Spitfire I's, or 109E's are around anymore, and you'd be hard pressed to find many warships that resembled the battle wagons or carriers that actually took part in the attack, since they were either sunk in battle, as target practice, or used as A-Bomb fodder at Bikini.

8. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

You'd remember it if you saw it, believe me....

9. Biak

Another War movie I did not see was that one about the song by Wagner, "Flight of the Valkyrie" or something? The one with the guy from "Eyes Wide Shut" (watched that one because of Nicole Kidman), who had the worse German accent I've ever heard. Well next to the ridiculous, over the top Southern accent spouting guy from another movie I have not seen, Ignorant Baboons ?
    Basically if Jimmy Steward, The Duke or others of their ilk ain't in it I pass.

10. formerjughead

Biak you have just touched on the one thing that could make this movie worse....Tom Cruise

11. Biak

I was trying not to say that name out loud. But now that you did I think "Top Gun" was one of the best comedy's made.

12. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Tom Cruise is a douche. They said so on Southpark....

13. sunny971

sunny971 Ace

pearl harbor - awful, awful, awful movie!

A W F U L!

ok, I think my point has been made here.

14. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Well, lets see.
    The Eagle Squadrons never took part in the BoB, so Afflack should not be fighting for them.

Just after being told those planes need ammo, the two main characters go on to shoot down 7 american..... I mean Japanese Zeros

Afflack gets shot down in the BoB near the British coast. You can clearly see it visable when he gets hit. Why did he float to France instead?

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hell no. I also could'nt stand alec baldwin as Gen Doolittle-how sorry of a role-casting job was that? NOBODY could beat Spencer Tracy in that role.

16. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Unfortunatley, I saw it-once and actually paid $8.50 to see it. I wanted to tell the theater manager that I was robbed of $8.49 and wanted my money back-but I couldnt do so because the throngs of a croud were too thick and deep to penetrate as they too were wanting their money back :lol: :lol: and after barfing their costly but cheap theater food after watching baldwin as Doolittle.

17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Valkyrie was actually a pretty good movie IMO. And yer talking about tommie-boy-cruise ;-)

18. Gromit801

Gromit801 Member

Valkyrie actually wasn't half bad.

Pearl Harbor is an abortion right down there with Midway.

19. Biak

It only took one look at the "promo" of Crud uh sorry Cruise saying "Valkyrie is a go!" For some reason I just cannot take him seriously.

20. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Check me on this, but didn't the Dan Ackroyd character spout a lot of conspiracy theory?