Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

"Pearl Harbor"

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by formerjughead, Mar 24, 2010.

1. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Alright there is a Valkyrie thread now to continue this discussion. I am sure it will be follwed by an "Enemy at the Gates" variation soon as well, let's keep this focused on why "Pearl Harbor" sucked.
    By the way Dan Akroyd was fierce in this movie!!!

I don't think so. I think it might have been pretty balanced fact v. fiction. He was very uncharecteristic.

2. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

I'm sorry, but any movie with Ben Affleck is worse then any Tom Cruise movie.

That should have been a warning bell right there - the main actor being Affleck - clearly not an action-movie type of guy.

Sadly, the Pearl Harbor 'previews' were amazing - but they only showed the Jap Planes flying over land and brief glimpses of explosions at Pearl Harbor. Apparently, the only good part of the movie was its Preview! The previews made no mention of the horrible love story the movie was really about.

A-58, Tomcat, brndirt1 and 1 other person like this.
  3. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I have to agree with Matt (Mussolini), the best parts were in the trailer previews. If I hadn't seen those I might not have watched the dang thing. Why is it that a "love story" has to be squeezed into every thing these days? I know the ladies constitue an "untapped" audience for movies centered on wars, but that was just dumb as a bag of hair, added nothing to the show, and wasted film time. Only redeeming thing about the love theme was it gave me a chance to go to the concession stand.

4. dartheric1

dartheric1 recruit

5. dartheric1

dartheric1 recruit

Miller shot down four plnes in fact

6. Phantom of the Ruhr

Phantom of the Ruhr Member

Just gonna leave this here:
    YouTube - Pearl Harbour Dub! 1/18
    Some of the jokes might not be to anyone's liking, but I personally loved this.

Just an FYI: They've also done a dub for Titanic and Braveheart if anyone's interested.

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Miller was also the first "Black" hero of WWII. He is one that I will always believ in that he SHOULD have been awarded the Medal of Honor. I guess a US Postal Stamp is a start in the right direction at least ;-)) Oh and, besides-he IS (was) a Texan ;-))

8. edhunter76

edhunter76 Member

Pearl Harbor is an insult to what happened there in real life! To name the movie as "Pearl Harbor" is another insult. Total crap and a disaster as a WWII movie.

Valkyrie was quite good actually. Plot was quite accurate historically. Well, Tom Cruise... he was ok on it. He even looked a bit like real Stauffenberg.

9. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member Patron   WW2|ORG Editor

I'm surprised they didn't finish messing it up and call it "Pearl Harbour".

:p

10. formerjughead

And another thing: why are there people just walking around at 7:55 AM? At any Naval/ Marine base in the world at 7:55 AM your are either in formation or running for cover.

11. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru WW2|ORG Editor

Because Ben Affleck needs his beauty sleep, duh!

12. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Hey don't mock the 'U" in Harbour, or colour, it looks so much better then Harbor or color, and we say we are lazy because we chose to take letters out and shorten our words such as G'day.:D:D

13. OpanaPointer

I don't mind "harbor" becoming "harbour", but "Harbor" is a proper name, so don't dick with it, please. :mad:

14. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Hold up, your telling me that Pearl Harbor is not actually named after the Harbour that the city resides on but actually after someone?

I have never heard that before.

15. formerjughead

"Pearl Harbor" is the name of the Naval station and harbor. It would be appropriate for you to write: "Pearl Harbor is a harbour used by the United States Navy, the most formidable Naval power in the universe....."

16. formerjughead

I'll tell you what; if you use a "U" you have give one up. You want to spell it harbour, fine, you now live in Asstralia

17. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Jugs is correct. Just as it would be wrong for me to refer to Bristol Harbour as "Bristol Harbor" or the Harbor at Sydney as "Sydney Harbor". We all spell things a bit diffrently, but when refering to a proper name, it is important to take that countries spelling of the word into account.

18. OpanaPointer

Here's the useless fun fact for this thread. The Navy leased Pearl Harbor, but didn't lease any ground around it in the first go. They had to get permission to use private docks to land their sailors until this was corrected.

19. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Pearl Harbor is the name for the harbor/harbour at Oahu, just as Mobile Bay is the name for the bay in South Alabama.

It would be acceptable for you as an Aussie to refer to "the harbour named Pearl Harbor", just as it would be for me to say "the harbor named Sydney Harbour." The general term can be as we each spell in our own countries, while the proper name should be whatever it is called by the nation the object is in.

Edit - Apologies to Mike & Brad, just saw their posts above ^

20. OpanaPointer

Tomcat, Pearl City is the town at Pearl Harbor. The modern term for the area at the time of lease would "underutilized."