Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Phila. Holocaust Memorial, the nation's first, to expand and include park

Discussion in 'Concentration, Death Camps and Crimes Against Huma' started by LRusso216, May 11, 2016.

1. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

When it was installed in 1964, Philadelphia's Holocaust Memorial - a statue depicting figures consumed in fire - was the first of its kind in North America.

On Tuesday, city officials and a group of Holocaust survivors announced plans for the statue at 16th Street and the Benjamin Franklin Parkway to serve as the entrance to a memorial park - one that aims to educate future visitors as the events of the Holocaust recede further into the past.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20160512_Phila__Holocaust_Memorial__the_nation_s_first__to_expand_and_include_park.html#R1lm4cUm9hJiv8UJ.99

Good article in today's paper.

2. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Well done Philly. By the sound of it, they seem to be crossing t's and dotting i's. The memorial seems to have a good foundation of members who want to do it right.

3. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

I agree but reading the comments people wrote about the memorial are pretty eye opening. Lot of hatred out there, I guess always has been. so sad.

Gaines

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I guess there will always be knuckleheads. You're right; sad is the word.

5. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing Gaines. I just kept reading the comments hoping someone will eventually have some inkling of morality.