Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Phillies are headed to the World Series

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by mikebatzel, Oct 15, 2008.

1. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

I think Phillies in 6. They will lose tonight, take 2 in Philly and then close it out in game 6.

2. James777

James777 Member

Lose tonight ? Anythings possible in Baseball i suppose , Im thinking another Phils win tonight and maybe turn the heat up under the Rays enough to take game 3 but it will be too little too late , aint gonna stop the big red Train.
    I hope Ryan Howard gets his act together , he's been a joke lately and a bad one at that.

3. James777

James777 Member

Ooops ..The big Red Train didnt even leave the station tonight..shocking

Your prediction is on track dgmitchell , unhappily so is Mikes

Disappointing show from the Phillies , Well done Tampa.

4. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

There time off is showing. something like 1 for 21 with RISP in the first two games. They will at least make six games since Hamels will gain two wins, but after that I'm not so sure. It's not Just Howard. Rollins hasn't done much, they got no prductivity out of the DH slot, Burrel can't do nothing either. Last night the top 1,2,3 hitters went 1 for 14. Uh, wheres Santa? I need to start chuckin some snowballs at some one.

5. James777

James777 Member

I guess we'll see Saturday whats gonna happen , the away win has to go down as a good job,expecting to win twice at Tampa might have been a bit ambitious.
    Your right Mike , its not just Howard , but up until last night he was among the worst of the slackers.
    I heard he likes to wait for the right pitch , ive lost count of the times ive seen him struck out without even swinging his bat...thats rubbish

Its in thier hands now,if Tampa can take either of these games then im a believer.

6. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

I think Howard's problem is his weight. He can't get the bat around to catch up with fast balls the way he needs to.

7. James777

James777 Member

I thought he looked a little chubby for a 1st baseman but figured what do i know.
    I mean..whats he gonna do if he actually does hit a ball , not like he's going to be quick.
    I hope he proves me wrong along with the rest of the world and knocks one into the stands this weekend...but i wont be holding my breath for it

8. James777

James777 Member

Heh heh heh Howard must read here ..Phillies win game 3

9. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Well Howard might be coming around. A double the other night, and he finally went yard last night. Moyer pitched great for a 45 year old who got beat up in every start so far. Rollins got some good hits, and Utley, Howard going back to back in the 6th was big. Ruiz was the hero though. A homer in the second, and a walk off single in the ninth. Tampa has to be kicking themselves today. bring in an outfielder to play a five man infield, and you still allow an infield single to lose the game. Incredible.

10. James777

James777 Member

It was a tight game though , late with rain delay and torrential at that.I was pretty surprised it cleared into such a nice night , its beautiful here today with clear blue skies.
    It'll be the best game yet tonight with Tampa desperate to win this one , Phillies with the upper hand cant relax.

Predictions for tonight Gentlemen ?

11. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

I think now it's time to start believing it's possible, though anything can happen. Phills won big last night 10-2. Howard hit two homers and even Blanton, yes the pitcher, went yard. Rollins got three hits, and just about everyone clicked. Tonight its Hamels on the mound in an attempt to become the first pitcher in history to win 5 playoff games in a single postseason. It's close to happening, but it's been 25 years since any sports team in Philadelphia has won any championship, so I will remain skeptical for now.

12. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

I really want to see Hamels get the win. He is a class act and a true competitor.

Also, the sooner the Phils wrap this up, the sooner I can either enjoy seeing Pedroia get the AL MVP or the sooner I can go on a tirade about the injustice of him not getting it!

13. James777

James777 Member

Well...its gone 3am , i dont think their coming back out : ) ..bloody rain
    By accounts its supposed to an even more wild day tomorrow

14. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Unless the phills can get something going tonight in the bottom of the sixth, no win for Hamels. They played all the way up untill it was impossible to play, then allowed the Rays to score so MLB didn't have to say declare a winner and go home (and they shouldn't IMO). So tonight we pick up where we left off, only It's supossed to be worse with a possibility of snow from what I hear.

15. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

Reminds me of '89 when Divine Intervention shook San Francisco with an earthquake just to ensure that the Giants did not win a WS. . . . but in this case, I think that a Philly WS win is merely delayed and not denied.

16. James777

James777 Member

Im maybe an hour outside of Phillie tops , 45 mins more like.Its been snowing since dawn ,inch or two on the ground.

17. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

Wow. This will make for an interesting Game 5. If the have to move the game to a neutral site and the Phillies end up losing the final 3 games, there will be much protesting. Also, if the ground is frozen, it is going to make all of the fielders conservative -- no one is going to lay out to catch a sinking line drive if the ground is as hard as concrete!

18. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

I live further north. 8" since midnight at least. Heavy wet stuff. I was the only one to make it to work today as the plant is literally empty. PENN-DOT was not prepared as the plow trucks don't even have the plows on yet.

It will not move to a neutral park. Selig was quoted last night as saying "When the World Series resumes, it will do so at Citizens Bank Park. No consideration will be given to moving the contest to another venue."

The question now is when does it resume???

19. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

The players union and Fox will have fits if the game continues to be delayed. As it is, it looks like even if the game is played on Wednesday (when it is now scheduled), Game 6 would have to be on Halloween or Game 7 would have to be on Sunday (competing with football). That will kill TV ratings.

If the weather continues inclement in Philly, the players union will not want to see the players risking injury to finish the game.

20. James777

James777 Member

Doesnt look much like it'll ease up anytime soon , its a real sloppy mess out there.If it turns to rain it'll clear but its mighty cold.I went out to get the mail in flip flops , ( i never go anywhere unarmed ) and my tootsies are numb.
    The snowflakes are smaller but intense , ill post a pic of conditions here this hour.
    Doesnt look so bad in the pic , but its real messy out there.

Attached Files: