Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Photo creating big waves in OZ...

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by CAC, Mar 20, 2019.

1. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

[​IMG]
    This photo was posted last week, it was a huge boot for goal that went 50m...this woman can kick a ball! She is part of what makes AFLW enjoyable to watch...Unfortunately when published it garnered a bunch of derogatory comments, most sexual. The site took the photo down until many people, especially famous people said that was giving in to trolls, so the picture was put back up. Tayla said she felt uncomfortable about some of the "disgusting" comments and as a professional athlete she shouldn't be sexualized whilst doing her job...she was at work.
    Theres been a bunch of stories written about this and other examples in the news, all condemning the comments and how to stop this happening in the future...
    This story today reflects this: Tayla Harris AFLW photo could become landmark moment in Australian sport

Other photos of Tayla kicking the crap out of a football...

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope this doesn't come under the umbrella of "chat" and have put it in the free fire zone so it can be deleted if more room in future is needed.

2. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

Is Seven Network supported by ad revenue? Sounds like our ESPN for sports coverage. Haters are going to hate and it needs to be addressed. My wife's nephew had the job of flying to Playboy Magazine photo shoot sites around the world to digitally alter the original photo and enhance or hide the assets or blemishes of the model. That wouldn't have hurt the power of this photo. But this is said after the fact.

3. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Moved to sports sub-forum.

It certainly is giving in to "trolls", but I doubt there are as many"trolls" as the article would convey. The lady is attractive, and I'm sure that's part of this, but this seems like a non-issue to me. MMA and beach volleyball deal with this issue often, and they wear much less than in footy. She's generated attention in a sport both for her looks and her ability, good for her. This just makes me shrug my shoulders and move on.

4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

We don’t get MMA or beach volleyball on free to air tv here...you might see netball, and a bit of women’s soccer on tv bit that’s it...the AFLW is only in its second year and there are many ‘firsts’ for the game and Australian tv and Australian footy fans...They’ve had to justify their existence for two seasons now and copping flack for all sorts of things...I’ve watched both seasons, and the second year you could see the muscle tone gained and the skills sky rocket in quality...it’s now an enjoyable to watch competition and hope it goes from strength to strength. Indeed these women can show the Americans that you don’t have to have played the game since 5 years old to get to a quality standard...just a thought ( for the USAFL leagues).
    What I’ve taken away from your comment Otto, is that America has been there and done that many moons ago, and instead of fight it, just accepted the comments until they run out of things to say, then move on? It does seem the logical way to go as a realistic approach.

5. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Its probably just me CAC, I used to referee MMA at the highest levels, with several thousand bouts under my belt. When you see so many men and women fighting in essentially their underwear, this photo doesn't strike me in any way different.

As well, this female athlete vs trolls thing has happened so many times now that its predictable. The news loves to find a few bad remarks on the internet and run with it. (Imagine finding bad comments online!) By and large most people would be supportive or indifferent about such things, but that doesn't generate eyeballs. "Trolls" do, so the problem gets inflated.

CAC likes this.
  6. green slime

green slime Member

I thoroughly enjoy the Women's Sevens Rugby. Great to see fit players give their all. Not seen AFLW. Shame about the ruckus.

CAC likes this.
  7. lwd

lwd Ace

It may end up generating more support for the sport. If so she and the over all organization can as the saying goes "laugh all the way to the bank".