Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Photo ID Request

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by Ryan McGrantham, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Ryan McGrantham

Ryan McGrantham New Member

Full Size Ken Harris Company B Photo.jpg Regimental Flag Ken Harris Company B.jpg Hi,

I am wondering if any of you can help me identify what regiment is in the picture in the bottom frame. This was part of my great-grandfather's papers and I can spot him in here. I would think based on the flag that it is the 634th _____ Regiment, Company B, but can't tell for sure. My apologies for the far away photo, but the important part of this is likely the flag, which I have zoomed in on.

The reason why I wonder about this is that I have seen the regimental flags for the 634th Tank Destroyer Battalion and the guns appear to be replaced with missiles and there is "TD" lettering for "Tank Destroyer".

I know of the 534th Amphibian Tractor and Tank Battalions (I can't tell if it is a "5" and not a "6" in the flag) but that is a Marine battalion and my great grandfather was in the Army.

My guess is that this is some sort of training regiment but would love to know. My great-grandfather did go to officer school at Fort Benning and came out a 2nd Lieutenant and was assigned to the 322nd Infantry, Company I. I believe that prior to going to officer school he was at one point with the 353rd Armored Infantry Regiment but I could be wrong about the timing.

Ryan

Otto likes this.
  2. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

The crossed rifles on the flag should indicate infantry.

Ryan McGrantham likes this.
  3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Do you know when he went to OCS? The 534th Armored Infantry became a Tractor Battalion in October 1943. It's possible he was in the 534th before it was re-designated and became a Lieutenant while the unit was transformed.

Ryan McGrantham likes this.
  4. Ryan McGrantham

Ryan McGrantham New Member

Lou I am just seeing your reply now for some reason but this is very interesting. His hometown newspaper published a few blurbs on him as he was being transferred from camp to camp stateside prior to being deployed overseas. One of the articles I have says he was in Company B of the 53rd Armored Infantry Battalion at Camp Chaffee, Arkansas (I do believe that the 53rd Armored Infantry Battalion was in fact stationed there so I don't think it was a typo). This article was dated 7/22/43. However, he had already been commissioned a second lieutenant sometime around March 12, when an earlier article announces that he had been promoted and completed OCS. That article also says that prior to OCS he was with Company C of the 18th Battalion, Basic Infantry Training Center at Fort McLellan, Alabama. But he either enlisted or was drafted in January 1942, so there is about a year or so worth of time where I don't know a whole about what he is doing other than likely being involved with training regiments. I know that he began at Camp Niagara when inducted and then was in Fort McLellan by at least August of 1942.

5. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I am wondering if it was a guidon for a training formation? S-34?
    I can't see the photo very well. Are there various ranks or are all of them more or less wearing the same rank insignia, except for a couple in the front center who might be wearing Sgt stripes?

6. WILD DUKW

WILD DUKW Active Member

Ryan,

His shoulder patch in the right hand photo is from the Armored Force. So at that time he was an Armored Infantry Officer.

7. WILD DUKW

WILD DUKW Active Member

The 53rd AIB was an organic unit of the 4th AD. The 4th was never at Chaffee. At the time in question the 14th AD was at Chaffee.