Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Photos

Discussion in 'Living History' started by William, Mar 26, 2003.

1. William

William Member

Okay, first the request, then the explanation.

Does anyone on this forum have access to, or knowledge where, a guy (namely me) can locate period, 1940's, vintage, nudey photos (of women, thank you very much), OTHER then ebay?

Now, to try to convince y'all I'm not as big a pervert as it sounds.

As some of you on these forums know, a group of us are hoping to have a 24 hour immersion event this coming September. Included in this will be a recently evacuated German bunker. Included in this bunker will be discarded personal items, letters, ration packaging, correct cartridge casings, and if I can find it, a nudey photo or two on the wall.

I'm not wanting to spend too much, as they will be spending a weekend underground, and very likely will be "liberated" by some of the GI's there.

You can post a reply to this question here, but honestly I may miss it. The better course of action would be to send me an email at snafu947@yahoo.com

Either way, thanks, and I hope to get some good input on this.

Wm.T. Ripley

2. Doc Raider

Doc Raider Member

You ever get yourself some of these, and can I see em?

3. William

William Member

Sure, c'mon up. I've been able to get my hands on a few since I asked. They're pretty, uh, neeto [​IMG]

4. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Don't forget me, I am almost 18 really lol. Actually I wanted to get a couple of photographs of my girlfriend to go in my wallet, but she is half Chinese so it could be a little hard to explain, I could try someone else though, have to see who volunteers to dress up and have a photo taken.

5. Doc Raider

Doc Raider Member

I"ve got a couple pictures of three bathing beauties on a beach. I think the back says "Glasgow, 1942". Found them in a shoebox full of vet's stuff that I bought. It also had a shot of his parents. That stuff turned out to be the coolest part.....along with the dated seashell that was appearently from the beach in the photo!

6. William

William Member

Yeah, Doc, I remember that photo of the bathing suit babes. One of these days I'll find some photos like that, too.

After our daughter arrives, I hope to have Annette (my wife) dress up in one of the two dresses her Grandmother gave me from the '40's, and have her hold Abby (our daughter-to-be's name). I'm going to then take it and make a copy of it, adding the white edge, then take some pinking shears and cut around it to give that weird edge. That will then go in my helmet to carry around.

7. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

My friend in my unit was trying to talk his old girlfriend into nude pictures for our half track a long time ago. Rip, if you want pictures with the white frame on the edges, I could take some, I'm a photographer and I have complete access to a darkroom. All my pictures have the white edge aroudn them and all I do is black and white, I can make period looking photos. I'm the soon to be new photo editor of my high school yearbook. I love the free film and supplies, I use so much for reenacting pictures.

8. Peppy

Peppy Idi Admin

I believe Swank magazine first published photos of the Nymph Squad in the early 1940's. ;) :D

9. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Ahhh, motivational pictures. The guys used to have them when I was in the army. To remind them what they were doing it for.....<stevin thinks back>....

William, Congrats on the coming arrival of Abby!! What a cool idea to make a pic like that! You gave me an idea. I think those ladies (and pin ups ;) ) were much more classier then anyway....Just look at the nose art on the ww2 bombers and fighters.

10. William

William Member

Thanks on the congrats. We're pretty happy, and just a little nervous. [​IMG]

I was hoping to get a photo taken of my wife out by this big old rose bush we had at our old house. Her grandmother gave me this great old dress she wore during the war (when she was on leave from her Nursing duties). I've got a couple photos guys have sent me of them with their wives or babies. Just thought it would be a really nice touch to my impression.

Pzgren-I just might take you up on that offer! I take okay photos, but can't develop them. You just may be the ticket I was looking for.

And as for the "other" types of motivational photos, I agree with an earlier post. Even though they were showing some skin, they are WAY more elegant then anything being put out today. Not that I've seen a lot being put out today, but... [​IMG]

11. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

William :

Just wanted to add my note of congratulations to you and your lovely wife on the future arrival of the little one.... :D

from an old Opa with two beautiful grandaughters ;)

~E~ and last note the babes of the 40's were pretty striking with those keen hair-do's.....just my added two-cents

12. William

William Member

Thanks Erich, it's most appreciated. And a congrats on the GRANDkids!!

I'll second the vote on the hairdo's. HUBBA-HUBBA!

13. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

I have an original 1943 german agfa camera. I even have the original leather case. Its pretty nice. I'm still in the process of getting it working again and finding film. Atleast Agfa is still around. I really hope to take some pictures with it. I've been thinking about ideas for period style home life photos to put in my soldbuch. Plus group photos of me and my friends in my unit. The best idea would be a picture of some of us on furlough in paris, but I don't think we'd get a warm welcome trying to take pictures there in our uniforms. Some moitvational pictures in the half track would be so nice. [​IMG] oh, well we'd have to take them out at public events incase people looked inthe back and saw them.

14. Doc Raider

Doc Raider Member

Yeah, I've got a 1939 Kodak, but I'm having alot of trouble trying to figure out exactly how to work the dang thing. William's period camera is pretty dern easy to use.

My main beef is that most places use color paper to print my black and whites on, and you can tell. I always have to go to a real photo place.

15. William

William Member

I specifically ask to have my shots printed on B/W film. Walmart won't do that, but for some reason the film comes out looking good-Doc, I'll have to show you the Bulge photos.

Pzgren-shoot me an email. There was an antique store I'd gone to about a year ago that had a shoebox FULL of snapshots of German soldiers-on leave at a zoo, in the field, sleeping, all kinds of neat things. They wanted $5.00 per photo, but if interested, I'll see if they are still around (this was a hole in the wall shop that didn't look frequented).

16. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Congratulations William, you will have to post a couple of pics when you get them.

As for the photographs and cameras etc, I have a wartime Voigtlander Brilliant TLR that my grandfather brought back from Germany in 1946 (when he returned from the BOAR, he 'found' it) and my father has a couple of WW2 era likas, all very nice, the lenses are fantastic. I want to get some photographs done so that when I fill in my soldbuch I can stick a couple of photographs in the back of it, I will already have a few of my brothers and so on but I think a couple of 'motivational' pictures would make a nice touch. Speaking of photographs, I am slowly getting a few of mine on the net, I am setting up a geocities site so I can not copy them here, the URL is:
    http://www.geocities.com/black_sock_man/index
    There are only two at the moment and for obvious reasons many of them are posed and have been taken at photoshoots hense several people are in almost all of them. There are not many photographs from battles as I don't get much of a chance to take them, however there are a few on my units sister site taken at a public show, these can be viewed at:
    http://www.12thss.com/

17. William

William Member

Very cool Stefan! If you can stand pop ups, check out our website at http://oldreliable9_47.tripod.com
    Really, there are a LOT of pop ups. But, there are a lot of photos of us. I'm the one with glasses in a lot of the photos, Doc Raider is, well, the one with the Red Cross on his helmet.
    Most of ours are posed as well. We have some more LH photos, and a LOT more originals to get up there, but it's a start.

18. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Your site does not work for me, I will be updating mine reasonably soon (as soon as I can get back on my pc, I am using my brothers at the moment) but I will let you guys know when i get some work done.

19. William

William Member

The owner of the site was at my house 2 nights ago. We will probably be switching servers to make it accessible to everyone (right now you can only view it with Internet Explorer), and to stop the really, REALLY annoying pop-ups.

The site needs some work. The owner has photos of original K-Ration contents we own on there, and I have a LOT of photos of 9th Infantry vets that need put up there, along with some more of us at events.

20. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Take a look at my new site, I have finally got a few pics up on it, the URL is:
    http://www.geocities.com/black_sock_man/index

Let me know what you guys think, I have only just finished it and will have a few more photographs on soon. Any questions or requests can be posted on here.