Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Pics : Gibson Mosquito Relic.

Discussion in 'Battlefield Relics' started by Martin Bull, May 7, 2012.

1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

There seems to be a never-ending aura of mystery and fascination surrounding Mosquito B.XX KB267, AZ-E of 627 Squadron which Guy Gibson borrowed and failed to return on 19th September 1944. Nightfighter attack, German flak, 'friendly' ack-ack, a Lancaster gunner, unfamiliarity with Mosquito controls, sabotage, an exploding Target Indicator........all theories endlessly debated.

All that is known for certain is that KB267 crashed violently in polderland near Steenbergen in Holland, instantly killing Gibson and his navigator, James Warwick. The explosion and fierce fire of the crash destroyed nearly all traces of aircraft and crew. When the area was earmarked for development in the mid-80s, the Royal Dutch Airforce carried out a thorough investigation of the field. They concluded that the Mosquito had 'disintegrated on impact'. Some relics were found, including some instruments, a wheel and some undercarriage parts, some fabric-covered fragments of wood and small parts of the tail and rear fuselage. Finally, the shattered remains of a Merlin engine were recovered from a depth of three metres.

All the parts werer removed to Gilze-Rijen airfield for examination. After this, the pieces were dispersed - some to the RNAF Museum, some to the local museum at Steenbergen, and a few to smaller UK museums with a Gibson or Mosquito connection ( parts can be seen at Scampton and Metheringham airfield museums ).

When I read the above information years ago in Richard Morris' Gibson biography I was most interested in those relics and remember how pleased I was when the curator at Metheringham allowed me to closely examine the parts in their collection.

Some years ago someone at the Mosquito Museum said to me - 'Oh, there's a bit of Gibson's Mosquito in the stores'. ( :eek: ! )

I was like a dog after a rabbit, but no-one seemed to know what the 'bit' was or where it was - or even if it was still there. :(

It was mentioned again to me earlier this year and this time I was absolutely determined that if it even existed - I would find it. The 'stores' are dark, full of old parts and mice nests etc. Looking for something and not even knowing what it is is just impossible. My quest became a bit of a 'house joke' - had I found Guy Gibson's autographed SatNav yet ?

I asked someone very senior who has been involved at the Museum for years - he confirmed that it's no joke : there was something 'that used to be in a cardboard box - part of a supercharger'.

I assumed parts of alloy casing and continued looking at odd moments. Last week I found something at the very back of a shelf, covered in cob-webs : obviously a crash relic ( unusual - not too many broken relics are kept in the stores). Not in a box, but it was certainly an impeller for a supercharger. I asked someone else - not even from a Mosquito, they said, hardly glancing at the still-muddy relic in my hands.

But I measured it - 10.25", the diameter of the secondary impeller on a Packard-built Merlin. And that 'mud', so long-dried - it crumbled like talcum powder, not clay or ordinary field soil. Much more like silt - of the sort found in Lincolnshire - or Dutch polder-land........But don't get too excited : let's wait and ask the guy who knows.

My senior contact was there again this weekend : 'I've found a dug-up Packard Merlin supercharger impeller - I don't want to sound silly, but I'm still looking for that 'Gibson relic' '....................

'You've found it'
    he said.

So - at last, and not having been seen in public for over 20 years, and in my hands while we decide how best to display it for the Public to see..................

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A sad relic indeed, but it's a very odd feeling for me to be able to handle this relic associated with one of the WWII personalities I've admired so much.

Biak, formerjughead, Skipper and 4 others like this.
  2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Congrats Martin!! Absolutely fabulous! That´s what looking for remarkable WW2 items is at its best! :) :

3. texson66

texson66 Ace

Martin, thanks for sharing! And being persistent!

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Your quest has been rewarded, wonderful , especially with the pic of the man and his bird. :poppy:

5. Martin Bull

Time for a progress report on the Gibson Mosquito relic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First step was a good soaking in that wonderful stuff, Deox-C ( first recommended to me by Forum member Pegasus ). Much scrubbing was needed with the impeller still in the bucket, but this removed all rust and much of the compacted soil. A large 'plug' of old engine oil appeared from within the hollow shaft. The impeller must have gone into the ground very hot - the mud had turned rock-hard around the impeller hub and needed careful chipping-away with small hammer and screwdriver. This revealed much of the original black finish - I touched in corroded areas with matching heavy-duty paint.
    The ferrous parts ( blades, cogwheel, bearing ) were then gently wirebrushed with a brass brush and then painted with clear metal lacquer to prevent recurrence of rusting.

I've designed a simple display stand, ordered an engraved brass plate and written a descriptive information board. Another member of the Museum is going to fabricate the stand and hopefully, it will all then be ready to go on public display.

This is almost like my personal, small tribute to Gibson and I must say, this little project is important to me.......:eek:

Poppy likes this.
  6. Martin Bull

Almost there.....Gerry Mears at the Mosquito Museum has done a simply wonderful job of turning my rough idea for a display stand into reality, using recycled scrap pieces of mahogany.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's back home with me again, ready for several coats of polish over the next couple of weeks - then I'll affix the brass plate and the idea is to have it ready for display by the Pathfinder Signing Event on August 18th............

7. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I somehow missed this the first time around but that has been rectified now. The phase "Living the Dream" comes to mind, great work and I envy not only your dedication but your opportunity to assist at the Museum. Not to mention sharing with us.