Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Pictures Of Der Fuhrer

Discussion in 'Personal Memorabilia' started by grimlin13, Jan 6, 2013.

1. grimlin13

grimlin13 New Member

In the middle of nowhere, at the end of the line K
    via War44
    About 15 years ago,I was at a one weekend only flea market/garage sale being held at a nearby fairgrounds. I walked by a booth and saw a small stack of old manilla folders in a box. The top one had the word "NAZIS" that had been cut out of a magazine glued to the front of it. There were 6 folders,5 dedicated to Germany and the 6th to Japan. The folders had been put together as a school project back in 1950 by a student for the 5th anniversary of the end of WWII. The folders were full of pictures about WWII clipped out of magazines and newspapers, some of which were published during the war. I had gone through 3 of the folders, there were a lot cool old clippings but, nothing that jumped out at me. Then in the 4th one was a photograph of Hitler and Hess. I leafed through the rest of the folders and found 5 more photos. Paid $10.00 for all 6 folders. I got them home and took the photos out of the folders, the manilla paper had a lot of acid in them and begun to yellow the photos. The photos are in pretty good shape. There in nothing written,printed or stamped on the backs except Kodak Vellox Paper. It is so faint that I hadn`t noticed it until a few months ago. Hope that you enjoy my photos.

Attached Files:

2. grimlin13

grimlin13 New Member

via War44
    One more photo

This is the last photo. Thanks for looking

Attached Files:

3. Cabel1960

Cabel1960 recruit

via War44
    Hi mate, they are top pictures for sure, not seen any of these before so i am guessing they are very rare?

Thanks for sharing :thumb:

4. History-buff1944

History-buff1944 New Member

via War44
    Nice score for only $10 bucks.:thumb::thumb: These these days for the five-if all are original period pics--will be worth about $150. Original Hitler pictures arent rare even the earlier days--unless you go before about 1923? Reason being is that they printed millions on millions of photos of Hitler during his time which is partly how he became very rich. Another was because of his book as well as his image on German postal stamps. Ive a few of him myself--all are period and the only rarer ones out of what I have--are three color photos of him inspecting the Bismarck.

When you mentioned some were printed on Kodak paper--those are strictly reprints and not worth anything like originals. I hate to venture a guess on those but only a few bucks each. If the Vellox--are period German made--those will be where the value lies. Also, the photos are all earlier and non wartime photos. If the Hess pic is original? that could make that photo around $75 or slightly more in value.

If the clippings are period news clippings--not much value but will be worth something depending on content. I collect vintage newspapers and most arent worht the paper they are printed on unless you go back over 100 years ago or have some major significant event that is on the front page--such as the sinking of the Titanic, or coverage of the first Baseball World Series--that kind of thing.

5. grimlin13

grimlin13 New Member

via War44
    The clippings are pretty much just pictures of Hitler,the wehrmacht,tanks,and weapons,no text. Remember they were cut out by a young school boy, not too neat! I doubt if they are worth anything,just cool to look at. I don`t know what to think about the photos of Hitler any more. I took them to a local museum back when I first got them,they wanted me to donate to the museum. I declined. I have been told that they are highly sought after and worth a few dollars, then told by others that they aren`t worth anything. They could be German period prints or they could be reprints. I do know that they are old and printed some time before 1950(the date the school project was put together) and it would be nice to think that they were actually printed pre 1945, with some kid`s dad bringing them back with him from Germany at the end of his tour.The paper that these pictures were printed on is Kodak Vellox paper. I have seen other supposedly original German WWII and prewar photos printed on this type of paper. Whatever the story,I like them and I got them for a good price. Can`t wait to see what is said about my Hitler prints that came from the Heinrich Hoffman studios in Germany. I`ll save them for another time.:thumb:

6. Jim

Jim Active Member

via War44
    They are good quality images, and its good to see that they may be worth a few $$$'s I like the one with Hess, when do you reckon this was taken? Can't have been that long before he flew over to Scotland??

7. grimlin13

grimlin13 New Member

via War44
    I`m not 100% sure but,I would guess `39 0r `40. I know that in the second picture,Hitler is with the Polish Foreign Minister Jozef Beck and I believe that was taken in `39, right before Germany invaded Poland. Of course I know that there has to be someone out there that would be certain on the dates of these photos. Anybody know for sure? Be glad to here from you.

8. History-buff1944

via War44
    Hi G/ These COULD be original American made photo copies-but not German. The Germans never used Kodak in WWII. They used names like: Agfa, and so many others. One thing to rememebr--just because something is old--doesnt mean they are worth money. I run into that all the time. Also, these COULD be post period reprints. Can you post the backs of these photos please? That would help better to see. Also, the above is just what I know as a period photos collector. Im no expert but--can fairly easily tell you if they are originals or not. Always keep things together as a grouping. Once a grouping is broken up--it can never be completed again. I see that all the time with the sales of estates. Myself, I dont have deep enough pockets to try to collections together that unscrupulous sellers split up in order to make more fast bucks. The last time I saw that happen was a few years ago when they broke apart General Vandervelts collection. This General knew all the "big guys" in WWII, had many many pics--signatures, documents etc--and the greedy sellers split it into hundreds of pieces. Anyway, for as much as I can afford--I managed to keep 20 photos out of 80--from Gebirgs Artillery Regiment 78--together along with a Regimentsagesbefehl that was about the 79th. Anyway, I try to do my part to keep things together as much as I can afford to ;-))

Back on the Hitler photos. Just remember that there many many millions fo photos taken of Hitler--so his image is not rare by any means. Cases in point: a few years ago several of his paintings were up for auction--you would think that just because they were his--that they would fetch loads of money--that was not the case. On average--they sold from between $2q,500 to maybe a maximum of around $6,000. The Walther pistol he carried on him--sold for a mere $16,000 at auction while the 6 shooter police special that Bonnie (from Bonnie and Clyde fame) sold for well over $220,000 a few months ago. Go figure?

Im not saying your photos arent worth something--but to just let you know what most sell for on average. Original Hitler post cards in mint condition sell for between $10-$25 max. Original snapshot pics depending on who you buy from? will sell for around $30-to-about $60--depending on location, date and activity and such. I have afew period Hitler photos in my collection--one is a Heinrich Hoffmann PK Press photo taken at his Berghof and he is standing with LW Major Helmut Wick. He had just presented the Oak Leaves to Wicks Knights Cross. That photo can go fro over $100 on todays market. I cant remember what I paid for it? but probably only about $35?? The two original AP/UPI Press photos I have of him--I got for about $20 each and arent worht more on todays market) maybe about $50 each????

9. History-buff1944

via War44
    PS, please post your Heinrich Hoffmann PK pics. I can easily tell you all about them if you wish? I have a few of those myself and made a thread about them here ;-)):thumb::thumb::thumb:

10. History-buff1944

via War44
    The top photo with Hess would be mid 1930s.

11. History-buff1944

via War44
    The 5th photo showing some members of the SS with the black Kepis and old style insignia--would be the oldest image of the batch and worth the most. The rest are mid to late 1930s guessing because of styles of insignia and such that I can see.

12. grimlin13

grimlin13 New Member

via War44
    I guess that I should of been a little clearer on the Heinrich Hoffman prints. They are the prints that were meant to be framed and distributed to schools,public buildings,etc. They are 15 3/4 x 19 3/4 inches over all with the actual picture being 12 x 9 1/4. There are two poses. One is of the Fuhrer in the official state portrait in the Feldgrau uniform (standing) as he made the Reichstag speech declaring war on Poland. The other is bust portrait of the Fuhrer in the brown political tunic that he wore prior to 1939. I have two of each. I will post pics of them later.

13. History-buff1944

via War44
    These are more commonly known as Educational Photos. I have several of those too. Mine are not Heinrich Hoffmann but are from official US-and Allied Military press photos and or were made from official War Documentary footage. I dont know what the value of those are? but they are at least 60 years old and come as a very large set as used in High schools and College. I found a person who had about 100 of these for sale and bought he ones I was interested in. I paid roughly $10 each as that was what I felt they were worth and not ever knowing what they might sell for since ive never seen any up for sale individually or as a part or full collection.