Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Pictures up

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by Greg A, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Greg A

Greg A Member

I got a few albums with pictures up on my yahoo profile. Gee take a guess what plane I like the most LOL :D

The URL is: Greg's pictures

Greg

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Greg :

What did they charge you to go through the 909 ?

Been through it three times and probably watched it land at least 6 times with it flying over my home several times. What a sight and sound ! Airfields with these bombers always draws the vets. And I am there with my books for interviews.

E

3. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Sweet pics Greg.

I often read newspaper clippings from local papers about these birds coming to local airfields. It always has some vets story in it about his experiences. So cool! Wish I was there with you guys!

4. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

5. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

[​IMG]

http://www.milehighcaf.org/he111.asp

The HE-111 was the Luftwaffe's (German Air Force) first modern medium bomber. Design began in 1934 as a ten-passenger commercial transport. However, its design was more suitable for a military plane and consequently it was delivered as a medium bomber to the Luftwaffe in late 1936.

The Heinkel HE-111 that the Arizona wing is flying was the late General Franco's personal transport , and the only one left flying regularly.

[​IMG]

http://www.stlouisregional.com/events/warbirds2002.html

;)

[ 12. February 2003, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Kai-Petri ]

6. Greg A

Greg A Member

Erich they charged $7 for both the 909 and Dragon and His Tail walkthroughs. You could go through as many times as you wanted. There was a vet there who was shot down in a B-24 during WWII but I didn't get to see him I just overheard the conversation a couple people had.

Well Stevin that means you have to make a field trip to the US or UK because I hear the UK has a bomber museum as well. A little vacation there [​IMG]

Yes Martin a little redress every now and then is a good thing lol :D . Unfortunately they do not have any British bombers in the states that tour (or at least that I know of) :( . Once I finish all the books I have now I'm going to start searching around for Bomber Command and 15th AF books.

And Kai-Petri thanks for posting the He-111 (or variant thereof LOL). I almost got to see it in 2001 but it wasn't at the airport I went too. It tours with the Sentimental Journey.

Greg

7. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Greg :

that was a great price for the walk through ! I paid 20.00 twice for the 909 and the B-24. This charge was to help pay for fuel costs and any maintenance.

Good luck on finding books on the 15th AF. Not many around that is for sure. Please go to www.armyairforces.com

here you will find forums for af questions and several 15th AF vets log on. Also check the books section which may be of big help.

E

8. Martin Bull

That's right Greg - to see complete Lancasters you'll need to go to Canada.

Kermit Weeks has a Lancaster in Florida (?) but it's in pieces and I believe a long way from being restored.

Errr - are those Rolls-Royce Merlins I see on that Heinkel, again ? ;) ;)

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Martin, did you say in one of the past posts that there is a Halifax left in the UK ? Hampden, Stirling ?

E

10. Martin Bull

1 Halifax on display at the RAF Museum in 'relic, unrestored' condition, a near-perfect replica Halifax at Elvington, a Hampden being rebuilt to static condition from recovered parts at the RAF Museum.

And no Stirling left in the entire world.... :(