Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Pistols Made From Meteorite

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Poppy, Jan 9, 2016.

1. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

Maybe we should. :)

Yeah I heared that one too...

2. lwd

lwd Ace

America does not have the "biggest army in the world" by any means. Our army was actually in 4th place during 2015 according to one source I looked up. The US army by the way is forbidden by law to engage in police activities in the US. US forces are usually deployed at the request of other nations for a number of reasons.

3. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

I expressed myself wrongly. I meant one of the biggest armies but that's not the point.

It maybe is forbidden by the law but if narco-cartels make such a big problems to your country why don't you just put an end to them by simply using your military? Because it's a good profit, that's why.

Btw let's end this and not turn this topic into a political discussion like you did with Tito and Yugoslav Partisans. With you I didn't refer to just you Iwd.

4. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

This is my last "political" statement on this subject, in this thread. I'd be more than happy to have an open and friendly discussion in The Stump. In post #9 I pointed out that the nearest police are 100 miles from my house, I'm sure the army would be a similar distance - we have 2,500 miles of border, most of which is very remote and much of which is both remote and mountainous. Just as the German army failed to stamp out the Yugo partisans in that tiny country, the US army would have even less luck in this much larger and more remote country - even if US law allowed the military to be used as police, which I would never want to see.

I'm armed. I don't really need the police or the military even if they could respond in time to make a difference, which they can't. I'll call them because somebody needs to fill out the correct forms after the event, but as much as the Police and Border Patrol want to help, they can't be everywhere. Everyone, including you, has responsibility to protect their own lives within the laws that govern your actions. I'm very pleased that I have a firearms option.

I also pointed out that a gun saved my life some years ago - the link to the book is in my signature. Think of that. A guy with a Remington 700 in .300 Mag (the same rifle used by snipers in the US Army) blew a huge grizzly off of me. This "Sniper" rifle - actually a standard hunting rifle - is one of the rifles our own hand-wringing anti-gunners want banned.

Lastly, and it's important you grasp this, the Bill of Rights is encoded in the Constitution. It's not something that can simply be voted away. It is debatable that even the difficult Amendment process could remove a Right from the Constitution. It's never been tried. Rights have been added, but never removed. I'll leave that to somebody with a doctorate in Constitutional Law, but even if you could, the amendment process would never get enough states onboard to remove a basic human right from the charter.

Anyway, start a thread in the Stump and we'll have a balanced and friendly discussion on the subject.

5. lwd

lwd Ace

I must admit to being a bit irritated by this post:
    In regards to the first. If it's not the point why did you bring it up?

In regards to the second assuming that it's a matter of profit rather than law is a bit arrogant and demonstrates a significant lack of understanding of the historical and legal precedents involved.

In regards to the third. I didn't turn the topic into a political discussion. In both that case and this case you were the one who initiated the political points and did so in a rather biased manner. In the partisan discussion I merely pointed out what you had done and illustrated the biases. The same is essentially true in this case. Don't expect to make a political post, especially a biased or debatable one and not get called on it. In any case don't blame others for politicizing a thread when you initiated the political discussion.

6. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Would the meteorite actually be a good material to use (think they'd mill the parts)- better/worse compared to materials normally used?
    Maybe because it formed in the absence of air or gravity, it would be stronger/weaker?

7. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

if I remember my geology , 55 years ago meteorites fell into 3 categories, stony, metallic and a mixture. The metallic ones are mostly a iron and nickel mixture. If would seem, prudent to ascertain if they were completely solid as well as do an analysis of the exact composition. I think this is a sort of giant marketing scheme . Just to say you have one. If you were serious about it as a firearm an well developed billet of known steel makes more sense though with less bragging rights. If I were serious about shooting it would want a known steel, well milled and designed. If I wanted a talk piece and were uber rich these would attract attention.

Speaking of high quality guns at great cosrt, as mentioned in the link to Holland and Holland above I happened into Purdey in London, where H&H as well as Boss are located. Purdey had 12 gunsmiths that produced on average 60 guns a year. In 1980 their cheapest side by side 12 gauge was 37,000 pounds , probably over 60,000 now. A matched set, highly engraved with fine Circassian Walnut was 250,000 . The quality was consistent , only decoration added to the p[rice. H&H and Boss are similar. Now they do measure you with a mechanically adjustable measuring gun and make it to your comb preference, drop, offset, etc .

The point of this is a standard field grade Purdey is probably as fine an unembellished gun as money can by so anything over 50, ooo pounds is probably embellishment of one sort or another. The cost is mostly fine hand labor and a famous name ! I cannot see a well engineered mass production pistol costing over say 1500 USD.

g

Poppy likes this.
  8. lwd

lwd Ace

Metoritic iron is pretty pure to start with but I think it's usually refined a bit more before it's used to make anything. If you go back a thousand years or so it was probably purer than much of the metal produced from ore although I'm not sure what the carbon content was like so may have needed some of that to get to the point where you could harden it to any great extent.

Poppy likes this.
  9. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Thanks, lwd, that was exactly my thinking ?

10. lwd

lwd Ace

Just looked wiki actually has a decent write up on it as do some other sites if you google meteoric iron. Some of the links will be to games though ...

11. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

"You Americans are really obsessed with guns."
    As a Canadian, I agree Americans enjoy their guns a lot.(sniff).
    perhaps, maybe, some sort of barrier that keeps unwanted people out?
    some kind of fence or wall. crazy, I know, but ...

ok , now caught up.
    reason for revisit was some discussion about canadaeh and how owning guns is not so hard.
    the problem is, criminals dont register their guns.
    there is a lot of gun crime here, easy to look up.
    when honest citizens register, they are entered into a database.
    farmers have always been victims of crime.
    police are only an hour or two away.
    when farmers report crime after or especially during an incident, the responding agency will be very concerned about the farmers guns.
    because of recent incidents, remote agencies
    will not risk their employees without sufficient backup.
    there are numerous examples online.
    it seems farmers are not allowed to defend their assets or even their lives.
    oh, canada
    sorry, this is a weak post. working off phone and dont want the efforts required to do justice

12. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

doh
    actually the original reason I looked this up is because just watched midway USA gun stories.
    they had a bit on the meteorite 1911s.
    looked very different. very long grains (?) visible. beautiful guns. think said worth 4 million.
    they also mentioned a knife (?), but nothing about bowie

13. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

14. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

$4.5 million Meteorite gun. Cost $5000 to make. Worth $5 million dollars in advertising. Everyone from the billionaires at the private Montana hunting preserve to the Carolina skeet club shooters to the Georgia boys busting empty beer bottles at the local sand pit are talking Cabot. . A gun that is just the right tool for the job. Brilliant.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  15. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

how much would a meteorite big enough to make parts for 1911 cost

heard tiny pieces go for hundreds of thousands

wish I were a fly on the wall listening to those good ol'boys. they know a lot, and are entertaining.

if anyone was to show up with meteorite pistols on hip...instant celebrity.
    sign me up for a day

16. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

[​IMG]
    Skull made from meteorite...

Poppy likes this.
  17. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

holy cow
    tres cool

18. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper