Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Places named after famous German Military Leaders/soldiers

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by ww2cents, Mar 13, 2010.

1. ww2cents

ww2cents Member

Because of the Nazi legacy I doubt there are many places (after WW2) named after Germany military leaders of World War Two, however when I was stationed in Germany I drove past a military base (German word is Kaserne) named after Erwin Rommel "Rommel Kaserne".

Here is the website: Rommel-Kaserne

I know about people like Hans and Sophie Scholl ("Schwester Brueder Platz") but they do not count because they were civilians.

Are there any places named after famous German Military leaders or heroes after WW2 that you have heard of?

2. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

The Scholl siblings were anti-Nazi and not military in any sense. Rommel was military, but forced to commit suicide because of his growing anti-Hitler stance. I don't know of any place names for any Nazi era military leaders, isn't that illegal in some fashion?

Rommel I can understand, and the Scholls were quillotined because of their resistance to Hitler and the Nazis. They deserve to be recognized.

3. ww2cents

ww2cents Member

Yes, I know about the Scholls, That's why I stated they were civilians. They deserve to be and they are recognized: Schwester-Bruder Platz in Munich in their honor, "Die Weisse Rose" movie and book and I'm certain countless other monuments.

Rommel was a Nazi-era military leader and there is a current German army military base named after him. There are anti-Nazi German laws in Germany but I'm not an expert on them.

The Swastika is supposed to be illegal but I spent a month in Mannheim in a military barracks in 1984 that had the original iron staircase with a swastika engraved in it.

4. ww2cents

ww2cents Member

5. Kruska

Kruska Member

Hello ww2cents,

The Swastika in Germany is not supposed to be illegal - it is highly illegal. I am very sure that the barracks in Mannheim that you mention is or was occupied by the US ARMY. There are quite a few former and present US Forces barracks in Germany that treasure and polish the ex. Nazi s#it. (Or as Carl knows - "those of the lesser Period")

I think you might be refering to the Coleman or Spinelli Barracks, Taylor Barracks IIRC is closed.

Those are the barracks that spring into my mind- and all of them besides 'Fritsch" are named after Military leaders in connection with 20.July.1944
    Henning-von-Tresckow-Kaserne
    General Dr.Speidel-Kaserne
    General-Olbricht-Kaserne
    General-Oberst-von-Fritsch-Kaserne
    Generaloberst-Beck-Kaserne
    Rommel-Kaserne
    General-Feldmarshall-Rommel-Kaserne
    General-Fellgiebel-Kaserne
    Graf-Stauffenberg-Kaserne

Most other German Barracks hold the name of military persons in regards to Germany's history from Prussian times till WWI.
    Many others are simply named after the town or region where they are located.

You can check on this site - it's German - but shouldn't be a problem for reading the names such as Hindenburg or Immelmann - just look for the word Kaserne (Barracks)

Liste der Bundeswehrstandorte in Deutschland – Wikipedia

Regards
    Kruska

6. ww2cents

ww2cents Member

I think it was Sullivan Barracks, not far from Benjamin Franklin Village, there was a walkway across the motorway to get to BFV.