Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Planes of Fame Airshow!! (2013)

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by JJWilson, Apr 30, 2018.

1. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, today's airshow is a unique one, and even though I don't liker ranking the airshows I've attended, 2013 is definitely my favorite.

Planes of Fame Airshow (2013): Lightning Strikes/ 75th anniversary of the P-38

2013 was the first airshow in Planes of Fame's history to focus on one aircraft, the Lockheed P-38 Lightning. Despite the specific label, 2013 was probably the most diverse year in warbirds ever, and me and my dad got too see a handful of aircraft we had never seen fly before.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the list of 2013's participating warbirds:
    P-26 Peashooter-1
    P-38's-5
    P-40's-3 (One early model C)
    P-47-1
    P-51's-8
    P-63-1
    B-17-1
    B-25's-2
    C-47's-2
    J2F Duck-1
    F3F-1
    F4F-1
    F6F-1
    F7F's-2
    F8F-1
    F4U's-2
    SBD-1
    TBM's-2
    A-1's-2
    PBY Catalina-1
    Spitfire's-2
    Sea Fury's-3
    Yak-3-1
    A6M's-2
    FW-190-1
    D3A Val "Tora Tora"-1
    D4Y Judy-1
    F-86-1
    Mig-15-1
    T-33's-2
    Total:54

2013 was already a special year without any unique and exotic performances, that's because there were more rare aircraft and just aircraft I'd never seen before in attendance. For starters, nowhere in the world (like most of the time) do you get to see 5 P-38's flying in formation. Then of course there is the worlds only flying P-26 Peashooter that made it's first public appearance that year, and the worlds only airworthy D4Y Judy, that actually almost flew, but aborted due to mechanical issues, and has never even taxied since. Then there was also the world's only P-40C in it's aluminum greatness, and an early model PBY Catalina as well. The National anthem flight was made up of the P-26, P-40C, a P-51, and an F-86, a very unique formation. The normal demonstrations and European, Pacific, and Korean war flights took place, and while it was nothing new, it just seemed cooler for some reason than it had been. The end of the show came with the F-16 demo, and the subsequent heritage flight with 2 P-38's and a P-51. It was an incredible year, and the year I actually remember the most about, for good reasons of course.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]