Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Please help me identify this (GRAPHIC!) video clip

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Decatur, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Decatur

Decatur New Member

Hi all, I just signed up today in hopes of finding out more information about something I saw on TV last night.

I live in Canada and I have the Smithsonian Channel in my cable package. Last night they premiered a one hour special called "WWII: Secret Race to the Atomic Bomb" which focused on the attempts of the various nations in WWII to create atomic weapons. About half way through the show, in a short segment that mentioned the Nazi invasion of Russia and subsequent Soviet counteroffensives, they aired a very brief (maybe 3-5 seconds) video clip which is arguably the most surreal and harrowing footage I have ever seen regarding this conflict. It seemed to show a mass hanging, where several people had been strung up, two per pole, with fires raging in the background and destroyed vehicles/equipment present. It didn't seem real and almost seemed like something out of a horror film.

I have attached a screenshot of this short clip which I took on my smartphone (sorry for the bad quality). Please be warned it is graphic. Does anybody know where Smithsonian got this footage from? Does anybody have any background information about the hangings shown in this clip (where it took place, who carried it out, who were the victims, etc.).

Thanks for any info you could share!

Attached Files:

PzJgr likes this.
  2. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

That is one photo I have never seen. Interesting. I'm betting took place at the end when the Germans were retreating. As far as place, shrug. Interesting if anybody finds out. Good post Decatur

3. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Looks like Soviet film from the Great Patriot War.

4. green slime

green slime Member

That certainly seems an overly dramatic image.

Germans were efficient, when hanging accused partisans.
    [​IMG]

But it was commonplace. Occurring more and more across the conquered areas of Russia, as the partisan war intensified. In 1941, not so much; Russian problems with supply, co-ordination, and local disinterest meant the Germans could easily control the situation. By the Spring of 1942, the Soviet authorities are starting to get organized, and get supplies, including radios, to the partisans. So we find lots more images of hanging partisans, from 1943, than 1941.

5. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

http://muc1.framepool.com/en/search/hanging+person/

"Stock Video Description
    Synopsis

1942:, Soviet Union: dead and tortured Russian civilians are found."

Has the look of a propaganda film?
    Looks like there may be other frames from the same film on there, but on phone so hard to check.

6. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

7. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I did a paper on "The Effects of the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact on Soviet Cinema" back in 1998. I watched way too much Soviet kino. I know I'm not perfect, but that looks like something a student of Sergei Eisenstein would do. Chicken-egg issue is unresolved, of course.