Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Poka-dot Sub

Discussion in 'Naval Warfare in the Pacific' started by Yankee, Oct 26, 2000.

1. Yankee

Yankee Member

You Guys ever heard this story? There was a US sub in Manilla bay that had just been painted before it was to evacuate, but as it was doing so the intense heat from the burning city cause the paint to flake off revealing the pink primer underneath. The Sub was all around the area and it scared the shit out of the Japanese they thought it was some sort of a secret weapon.
    The US navy had no Idea it what was going on and thought it was Japanese (I think it was almost sunk by an American ship once) Finally it was painted but while it was poka dot it was pretty funny.

2. Ron

Ron Member

I think i heard of something like it in an old movie. I saw a movie that portrayed a sub that was ALL pink...because of a paint job problem...but lol if it really happened it does sound funny,

3. Erich Hartmann

Erich Hartmann Member

Ah. You must mean Operation Petticoat with Cary Grant. Another classic Sunday morning movie!

4. Yankee

Yankee Member

Ya but this was real and the Japanese thought it was a secret weapon the the Tokyo rose warned the Americans that it had been sunk but the navy was confused because it had no subs like that and told its ships to fire on such a sub.