Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Polish Amputee & Nurse Reunited In Care Home

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by GRW, Jul 28, 2019.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

"The last time they met was in a hospital in war-torn Italy in 1944.
    Maria Kowalska was a 21-year-old nurse and Waclaw Domagala was a teenage soldier having his leg amputated after fighting in the Battle of Monte Cassino.
    The Polish pair were reunited in a UK care home almost 75 years later when Mr Domagala called over to her: 'Good morning, Sister.'
    Mr Domagala, now 94, said he never forgot the 'angel' who nursed him after he was wounded in the battle which caused more than 55,000 Allied casualties and 20,000 German.
    Almost 50,000 Polish troops took part in the Allied push to reach Rome and many were killed. Many survivors settled in the UK after the war. Mr Domagala and Mrs Kowalska, now 96, live in a care home near Newton Abbot, Devon, for former members of Polish forces who served under British command.
    They were reunited in 2017 and live a few rooms from each other.
    Mrs Kowalska said: 'No one had called me Sister for a long time and I thought, "My God! Who is that?" It was only my second day at the home and I didn't expect anything like that to happen. I didn't recognise him at first but then he started talking about Monte Cassino and his operation.
    'It was incredible to see him after all this time. There were so many bad injuries to so many young men and we were working around the clock. I looked after the ward where they recovered but would also help out in theatre when we had casualties coming in.
    'I remember him because it was so sad to see a young man lose a leg. He was only 19. I knew he survived and was sent to Scotland to recover but that was it.'
    Mr Domagala said: 'I knew it was her the moment I saw her. She was one of the nurses who helped me and I am so grateful to all of them. How could I forget her?'
    Following the war, Mrs Kowalska settled in Wiltshire and raised a family. She keeps her British Army and Polish hospital identity cards at the home which is known locally as 'Little Poland'."
    www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7295437/Polish-amputee-soldier-reunites-nurse-cared-70-years-on.html

TD-Tommy776 and lwd like this.
  2. wm.

wm. Well-Known Member

The survivors settled in the UK and in other countries (about a half a million of them) because they couldn't return to the freshly conquered by the Soviets and subjected to massive repressions Poland.