Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Polish Army in WW2

Discussion in 'Prelude to War & Poland 1939' started by Kai-Petri, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Great sites here too. I checked the first one for awhile and its welldone. Thanks for adding something here that wasnt here in droves. [​IMG]

3. TA152

TA152 Ace

I looked at the second site and was very surprised to read what all the Polish navy had in their fleet.
    Polish submarines ! You could start a whole new line of Polish jokes with just that !!!

4. De Vlaamse Leeuw

De Vlaamse Leeuw Member

Very interesting, didn't know they had such a big navy.

5. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Of all their armed forces, the Polish Navy was the most modern. They had just received delivery of some British destroyers as well as British and French Submarines prior to the invasion.

6. De Vlaamse Leeuw

De Vlaamse Leeuw Member

That might be true.

But in a landinvasion, you can't do much with new ships.

[​IMG]

7. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

True enough.

8. No.9

No.9 Ace

[ 18. April 2003, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: No.9 ]

9. De Vlaamse Leeuw

De Vlaamse Leeuw Member

Amazing story.

10. No.9

No.9 Ace

[ 18. April 2003, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: No.9 ]

11. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Thanks for the sites, Kai! It is very interesting to know all that! The Polish were very, very brave! Though their armed forces were very old-fashioned so they had the battle lost before-hand. My grandafther remembers how brave they were when their élite cavalry troops, leaded by a colonel launched a suicidal charge against Panzers I and II. :eek: They had all being killed before they came close some 100 metres from the Germans... :(

12. Military History Network

Military History Network Registered Member

The General suggests - without being specific as to who, when, where:
    " ... Though their armed forces were very old-fashioned so they had the battle lost before-hand. ..."

Tell that the the Polish II Corps, who finally captured Monte Cassino, after so many other outstanding units - including American, Indian, New Zealander - died frustrated in their attempts.

The polandinexile website did not, when I checked it, give much attention to those troops, and to Wladyslaw Anders, one of the outstanding commanders of WW II.

13. No.9

No.9 Ace

14. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

I was of course talking (as the sites suggests) about the Polish Armed Foces during the battle of Poland from September 1st - October 3rd 1939!!!

They had the battle lost before-hand because they were facing two huge Armies, incredibly well prepared and equipped and were not going to be helped by the Western Allies.

At France, North Africa, Sicily, Italy, France and the Low Countries is was another thing because they were fighting with Allied equippment and were much better trained.

15. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Info on Polish air forces at combat:

http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/Polish%20Guns.htm

The PAF claim to have shot down during a three-week air combat over Poland a total of 147 German and one Polish (a PZL 23B light bomber mistaken for a Stuka due to similar landing gear fairing arrangement) aircraft, of these 10 were Bf 109s, 13 Bf 110s, 10 Ju 86s, 17 Ju 87 Stukas, 30 Do 17s, 44 He 111s, 15 Hs 126s, 1 He 45 and 7 unidentified. German sources state 283 aircraft were lost due to the PAF, flak and accidents, but offer no further details as to how each plane was lost. The PAF lost 118 fighter planes, of these 32 were to German fighters, 10 to bomber crews, 7 each to both German and Polish flak, 4 on airfields to bombing raids, and 58 lost due to accidents, destroyed by the ground crews due to lack of fuel and spare parts, overrun at the fields by the enemy ground troops etc.

After the Sept 17, 1939 USSR invasion, the PAF also fought the Soviet Air Force. Six Soviet aircraft were shot down, of these two were SB-2 medium bombers, two I-153 Chaika fighters, one I-16 Rata fighter and one R-5 recce aircraft, together with one I-153 fighter damaged beyond repair, before on September 19, 1939 fighting the Bolsheviks was forbidden unless in self-defence. No data is available on the losses of the PAF due to Soviet AF.

16. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I really wonder what German sources they are talking about.....I've got the Luftwaffe losses starting on September 2, 1939 through September 15th so far.

Do 17 lost in an air battle over East Prussia
    Hs 126 lost to friendly fire from a destroyer
    Do 17 MIA
    2 He 111's ?
    Do 17 ?
    Do 17P ?
    He 111 crashed
    He 111 emergency landing
    Do 17 ?
    Bf 110 crashed
    Bf 110 emergency landing
    Hs 126 emergency landing due to flak hits
    Do 17 emergency landing
    He 60 crashed on takeoff
    Do 17 emergency landing due to battle
    Hs 126 crashed on transfer flight

these are for 2nd of September only, for September 1st there are reports of 14 Bf 109's many by accidents. the info is from the Generalquartiermeister 6 Abt. loss reports

just to give you guys something to ponder

~E

17. Kwaqu777

Kwaqu777 Member

Well talking all day longabout wwii, without even knowing the BASICS, THE BASIC INFORMATION, you people are just astonishing in your (I would say stupidity), but I will say not knowing things.Ohhh yeah jokes about polish people are they funny hahahah you want me to show you some pictures of Poles (civillians, and soldiers) during WWII and how they were "destroyed"?????

18. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I have read through the postings in this thread, Kwaqu777, and there does not appear to me to be serious disrespect to the Polish forces in WW2. In fact several members have stepped in with postings regarding the Poles' bravery and skill in combat.

If you wish to discuss here, you are very welcome to do so. But please be constructive.

19. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I do think we have not been saying bad things about the Poles so I´m a bit astonished.

As well I agree 100% with Martin that we don´t need people who start with saying the other people on the site ****. Or continue that way.

:( [​IMG]

20. Kwaqu777

Kwaqu777 Member

Oh really???