Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Portugese Air Force Allied Aircraft

Discussion in 'Air War in Western Europe 1939 - 1945' started by Fred Wilson, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

I keep running into references of Allied Aircraft being sent to the Portugese Air Force.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_of_the_Portuguese_Air_Force

This is a subject I would like to learn more about. What roles did they take on? S&R?

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Air_Force
    In 1924, the aviation of the Army gained the status of a full arm of service, in equality with the other combat arms like the infantry or the artillery. It became known as Arm of Aeronautics (Portuguese: Arma de Aeronáutica) or Military Aeronautics (Portuguese: Aeronáutica Militar).
    In 1937, the Military Aeronautics underwent a major reorganization, gaining a large autonomy. Despite continuing to be administratively part of the Army, the Military Aeronautics now had a separate chain of command, with its forces under an Aeronautics Command directly dependent from the Minister of War.
    Early involvement by the Portuguese military aviation included the Revolution in 1926 and the Spanish Civil War in the late 1930s. Portugal was not directly involved in World War II, although good relations with the Allies resulted in the purchase of British and US aircraft, including the Hawker Hurricane, Supermarine Spitfire and P-47 Thunderbolt, as well as others impounded after they landed due to mechanical problems or bad weather. Portugal joined NATO in 1949 as one of its founders.

Anyone?

Edet. Look first. Ask second. Sigh...
    http://www.ww2f.com/topic/12237-portugal-in-the-pacific-in-wwii/

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I keep hearing the phrase in my head "measure twice, cut once"...

3. Takao

Takao Ace

Portugal never purchased any P-47s during World War II. It was only in 1952 that Portugal purchased her, now re-named F-47D-30-RA/RE Thunderbolts. They served from 1952 until 1956, when the aircraft were retired.

4. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I remember reading something awhile back about several AAF P-39s landing in Portugal due to bad weather or mechanical problems of some sort. I believe the pilots were re-repatriated a short time afterwards. Parts for these aircraft were sent to Portugal by the US. It's been so long since I've read this, and I don't know where to start looking for the info. Hopefully someone will come along with a confirmation of what happened.

5. Takao

Takao Ace

6. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Hey, thanks a bunch! I knew you'd come through, although this is not where I initially read about the Portuguese P-39s though.

7. Takao

Takao Ace