Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Post Midway lessons of air power

Discussion in 'Naval Warfare in the Pacific' started by DarkLord, Jun 30, 2021.

1. R Leonard

R Leonard Member

And I've nothing further to offer, lest I repost my comments re Ring in their entirety without change.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  2. the_diego

the_diego Active Member

No, no. Come back. You might be the one to answer this question: Where in the US is it a custom to name a boy using ordinary nouns and verbs? Example: Stanhope Cotton Ring.

3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Ordinary nouns and verbs? Those are probably surnames from different ancestors and is common in the South.

Ring was from the Tidewaters of Virginia and naming children thusly was quite common there and other parts of the South.

I have several friends who have surnames as part of their Christian names. A close female friend has the middle name Land, which is a family surname and male friend whose middle name is Allison, also a family surname. I have two different female first cousins whose second name is Coleman and Conner, and both go by a double name, their first and second names, then have a a third name which is their "second" name.

You will also find people named for ancestors who had what we now consider odd names.

4. R Leonard

R Leonard Member

And in the north . . . vis Cotton Mather. One runs across some really odd ones though, my favorite being States Rights Gist (1831-1864 KIA at Franklin). And the practice is not as noted by Jeff confined to men; in my long ago circles of acquaintances there was a young lady Georgia Peach. There was a naval officer of my father's vintage and acquaintance, one Strong Boozer, USNA 1938, Capt SC . . . noted amongst his classmates as a teetotaler. Also once knew a woman named Content World. Names are fun, but nothing to get excited about or look for some deep meaning.

5. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

There is also the first commissioner of Major League Baseball, Kenesaw Mountain Landis, who was named for the battle north of Atlanta during the Great Unpleasantries where his father was wounded. He was born in Ohio.
    A former State Treasurer of Alabama was named Young Jacob Boozer III. He goes by Young Boozer.