Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Post-WWII European Rations

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Heather Dixon, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Heather Dixon

Heather Dixon New Member

Hi guys! I'm hoping you can help me find more information on the subject of German civilian rations during the Allied occupation. (1945-47-ish)

I'm looking for information mostly on the particular items they had to eat, and how much. (Particularly children.) In articles online (The most useful being wikipedia Food in occupied Germany - Wikipedia) I know that adults only had 1,000-1200 calories a day, but none of them go into detail on what exact foods they had, or what the children were allowed. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

(Thanks for being patient with me if this is a dumb question! I'm still kinda new to this.)

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

3. lwd

lwd Ace

The following may be of some use (I haven't looked at them in much detail though):
    Public Health Work in the British Occupation Zone - The Perils of Peace - NCBI Bookshelf

Modern Hungers

This one has a table that lists calories for children by age:
    Logistics Matters and the U.S. Army in Occupied Germany, 1945-1949

This one deals with the Soviet zone but not sure of the detai:
    The Soviet Occupation of Germany

This one concentrates on the British zone:
    https://www.societies.ncl.ac.uk/pgfnewcastle/files/2015/05/Easingwood-Our-Daily-Bread.pdf

Apologies if some of the ones below are duplicates. You are probably aware of it but there's been a tendency of some of the "revisionist" to try and make a political issue of this topic so beware of political agendas:

"What it means to be malnourished": Food and Hunger in the Shaping of Postwar German Identities, 1945-1949 - ProQuest

https://www.ghi-dc.org/fileadmin/user_upload/GHI_Washington/Publications/Bulletin48/bu_48_059.pdf

American food policy in occupied Germany

Benevolent Diplomacy: Children’s Art and US Food Relief in Occupied Germany - American Historical Association

Hopefully some of these will be of some use. Again I didn't vet these so I may have chosen some that I warned you about above.

4. OpanaPointer

And no doubt you'll run into the myth that a million German soldiers were starved to death. Other Losses, a book well suited for historiography classes (where we learn to spot poorly done history), is the story of an author who jumped to a very weird conclusion based on the heading of a single column in a table.

5. Heather Dixon

Heather Dixon New Member

Wonderful! This is a HUGE help, thank you!

6. Heather Dixon

Heather Dixon New Member

FANTASTIC! This is just what I'm looking for, thank you thank you!!

And the advice about revisionist history is very good advice, too--I appreciate it. I've found the best, most accurate sources are the contemporaries of the time who were actually there, so I'm going to keep all this in mind as I move forward. Thank you again for this response!

7. Heather Dixon

Heather Dixon New Member

Very interesting, I haven't heard that myth before (though I know food was really scarce for everyone.) I'm going to tuck that advice away for future reference, thank you.

8. OpanaPointer

The book would never have happened if that column had been labeled "miscellaneous". :facepalm: