Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Pro-Mussolini Graffiti Found on Cliff Face

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by GRW, Jul 30, 2019.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

I can see both sides of the argument, but how exactly do they plan to cover it up?
    "A tribute to Italian dictator Benito Mussolini etched into a cliff has been unearthed during a clean-up of a mountainside - and the local mayor hopes it will bring tourists to the village.
    The word 'Dux', which is Latin for Duce or leader and was the name the fascist ruler was affectionately given by his followers, was chiselled into a sheer cliff near the village of Villa Santa Maria.
    The carving was made in the village of around 1,300 in the central Italian region of Abruzzo during the two decades of Mussolini's fascist regime.
    After the Second World War and the death of Mussolini who was shot dead by partisans in April 1945, the tribute was covered up by overgrown trees and bushes.
    But during a €50,000 ($55,732) bid to clear routes up the mountain to attract more climbers, the huge inscription was revealed.
    Politicians from the centre-Left have demanded the etching be erased, saying to celebrate Mussolini is inappropriate.
    But Giuseppe Finamore, the village's centrist mayor, is resisting calls for the carving to be covered up or removed.
    He told the Il Centro: 'We had to clean the bushes, the branches and so the writing was cleaned too. If that draws more people to my village I will be very pleased.' "
    www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7300409/Italian-mayor-uncovers-WWII-cliff-tribute-Benito-Mussolini-says-hopes-boosts-tourism.html

2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Tough call, I hate to see history destroyed in the cause of political correctness, but understand it may be too near his time to accept.

3. lwd

lwd Ace

If they were to construct a museum or even just a visitors center near by which gives a good history of the times I'd be more than happy. It's an opportunity to educate people but the opportunity must be capitalized on.

TD-Tommy776 and ColHessler like this.
  4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

It should be photographed then removed...What sort of tourists are they hoping to attract?

5. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

A good idea. Modern Europe is trying to consider WW2 as history rather than Remembrance. The tragic story of Italy's WW2 is worth telling - if it can be done in a non partisan way. Tourism might be the best way to ensure this. No one wants to visit a purely partisan (excuse the pun) story.

ColHessler likes this.
  6. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

IMO, the etching is an artifact of history. It's the ideas that inspired the artifact that are the danger, not the artifact itself. As lwd suggested, a museum or visitor center which will educate future generations on the dangers of fascism and dictatorship makes a lot of sense. To paraphrase, those who erase history increase the likelihood that it will be repeated.

GRW and ColHessler like this.
  7. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I can see that it is an artifact of history, but the thinking behind the carving is still prevalent. I'm just not sure how it will be presented. The mayor has to be careful that it doesn't become a shrine to that thinking. If it is placed in the context of the times, then it becomes the basis for tourism. A museum or visitor's center might help steer the viewing in that direction. Otherwise, it becomes a memento of fascism and it will be seen in that way;

8. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Yes, I don't see many historical aids/locations featuring the Nazis or Hitler...photos will do. Why is this any different?