Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Propeller ID - assumed landing craft

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Mecanglais, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Mecanglais

Mecanglais New Member

Hi, this is my first post here so apologies if I have posted in the wrong section!

We have a propeller blade, in brass, that I wondered if someone on the world wide web could help us ID.

It had been recovered from a wreck on the Normandy seabed and was bought from a collector (incidentally we also bought two German 88" shell crates from the same chap so we have no reason to doubt him, near Bayeux, Normandy.

We have had it for a while (approx. 10 years), we have now been looking into cleaning it up, bronze, as you would expect, but we have been scrubbing in the usual places and can find no other markings other than on the nose of the boss '560 780'. We assumed that to be the pitch and the width but that does not seem to be the case. Measuring from a single blade to the centre is approximately 35cm, giving an approximate pitch of 70cm.

We have restored lots of militaria, from a Willys jeep to a Sherman tank, but I simply don't know anyone who can help ID a propeller!

I assumed it to be from a LCVP but have found a genuine LCVP propeller for sale on eBay in the states, the dimensions don't match up, it is definitely bigger.

I have enclosed some pictures, the search for more markings continues, but so far is proving fruitless. Thanks very much in advance.

IMG_20190828_183115_resized_20190828_075054419.jpg

IMG_20190828_183145_resized_20190828_075054701.jpg
    IMG_20190828_183245_resized_20190828_075054283.jpg

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Differing manufacturers may have used different screws. It would be a challenge to ID and provenance that one part.

3. Mecanglais

Mecanglais New Member

I don't doubt it.
    Provenance is no real issue as such as we will be keeping it as 'garage art'. But it would be nice to know its story.

I wondered if perhaps someone might recognise the markings we've found thus far, even if just the style/font, or be able to suggest where to look for a foundry mark or such.

I hadn't considered that different manufacturers used different components, my experience (although I cannot vouch for landing craft specifically!) is that it was most important that components were as closely matched as possible, to aid with servicing, repairs and sourcing replacements at short notice. It is very different to the LCVP prop I have seen for sale on Ebay.com, but that is the only other example of this sort of item I can find online, with measurements.

4. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The prop had to fit the shaft, that was the constraining measurements. Otherwise the manufacturers had some wiggle room. Not only were individual companies making props as subcontracts, but The Word coming down the pipeline would progressively alter the specs as time went by and they learned more about the gear and what worked/didn't work. A single manufacturer could produce several different models of the same prop as the specs were modified/improved. And some of them were in the business before the war and made the same props they produced for tugboats and pleasure craft, within the constraints of the multiple boards that were sharing the control of the work while squabbling among themselves.