Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

PTO

Discussion in 'PC and Console Simulations' started by Ron, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Ron

Ron Member

Anyone ever hear of the game PTO (Pacific Theater of Operations)? It is a ww2 strat game for genesis, supernintendo or your comp. I have the game for genesis and i get totally obsessed with it when i have time to play it.
    it incorperates everything from diplomacy to warships to technology advances to island invasions to large battles between enemy fleets to rebuilding new ships to funding of the military to making your own task forces and did i mention you have just about total control over all of it, including as many as 20 fleets and direct control over the first fleet...(fleets 2-20 you appoint commanders for and give orders...such as fleet attack...gathering intel...calling at a port...and attacking bases.
    there is a realistic map which covers just about the whole pacific war including bases inside china to the Marianas islands to iwo jima to hawaii to san fransisco.
    According to how you run your war you can invade Japan or japan can capture hawaii and eventually the east coast!
    there are historically acurate battles you can start at (like coral sea, midway, or battle of philippine sea) or you can start in the beginning of November before pearl harbor.
    The cool thing is history goes out the door once you start playing because they might not even attack pearl harbor...they may attack it 12/20th...they may attack with a stronger force, or weaker for that matter and they may even invade. Everytime you play...the war is always different!
    ANYWAY now that i'm done making a plug for the game...i'm going to type out what happens in my war for my own enjoyment and if anyone else is curious.
    OK I took over control during the battle of the Coral Sea.
    I had direct control over 2 carriers and 1 destroyer. (Lexington and Yorktown) there were several cruisers and one more destroyer in the area so i decided to absorb them into my 1st fleet. As my fleet was converging, Port Morsby was being bombarded by bombers and fighters from Lea. (port morsby was goal of Japanese in Coral sea battle) the base was bombarded 3 seperate times...but caused only minor damage. Around the same time as the bombardment 6th fleet (a submarine division) sighted and attacked a fleet of 1 cruiser several destroyers and troop transports located off new guinie(only damaged a destroyer) 8 hrs later my other Submarine division (7th fleet) stationed off Truk saw a moderatly large fleet composed of 2 carriers 2 cruisers and 2 destroyers depart from the base in a southerly direction. The subs attacked causing only minor damage to a cruiser and in the process lost the USS Dolphin.
    Knowing an invasion is iminent i boosted
    Port Morsby's garrison from 40 to 60 battalions and also boosted the airforce which now numbers about 300-350 fighters, bombers, and recon planes. No sooner did that happen that scout planes found a fleet composed of one small carrier and several cruisers (shoho) It was attacked by 150 land based bombers and although only one freighter was sunk several ships were seriously damaged including the small flattop and withdrew.
    As this was going on i was launching my scouts from my carriers in search of the larger fleet that i assumed would be part of their invasion. The first sign i saw of it though was it's aircraft attacking Port Morsby. Although the fighter squadren i had there was more than a match for the 2 carriers and in the 3 attacks the 2 enemy carrier groups were mauled, i lost many fighters too and suffered moderate damage...but now the carriers had lost much of their potencey...i swooped in and ambushed them sinking 2 carriers and a destroyer.(shokaku and Zuikaku) the remaining 2 cruisers and destroyer were finished off 4 hrs after my first attack. the next day I found the fleet of cruisers and transports and after mauling it with aircraft my cruisers and destroyers went in and finished off the remainign ships in a daylight surface action.
    in returning to port morsby for supply i was attack several times by large groups of land based bombers from Lea and Rabaul...Lexington was severly damaged as well as most of my fleet. I departed from the area...on way to Hawaii was ambushed by 2 unidentified submarines which finished off Lexington...rest of fleet made it to hawaii...in which case fleet was disbanded.
    in days that followed created new 2nd fleet to take over operations in Solomons and coral sea area (it is now a month after the battle and there are several reports of Japanese activity in the area.)
    So as of now 2nd fleet is still in hawaii being supplied for duty in S. pacific. Japanese activity reported off midway and in S. pacific. port morsby still being bombarded with land bombers. I'm Making plans for invasion of marshall islands. Modernizing several ships...allocating funds towards planes and industry. and that's where i ended for now...

[ 18 December 2001: Message edited by: Ron ]</p>

2. Otto

Otto Spambot Nemesis Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Ron, that sounds like a great game.

Updates, updates! How is your game going so far?

Oh, one more thing, do you know of any sites about PTO?

3. Otto

I found a review online, by Cool mario 6446
    superknuckles095@aol.com

I really love Genesis war games. P.T.O stands for Pacific Theater of Operations! This is my second review for a war game on Sega. This goes along the lines of Operation Europe (Made by the same company: Koei) and it is a great strategy! This game also has two save files!

Story (10/10)
    (Taken from back of the box) Relive the entire Pacific Campaign of WWII. You have the incredible opportunity to command either Allied or Japanese forces. Challenge history and change the outcome of the great sea and air battles of the day, such as Pearl Harbor, The battle at Midway and Okinawa!
    Assemble warships into fleets and forge a comprehensive battle strategy with land forces. Launch air attacks, Dispatch amphibious forces of fire warship artillery to fulfill military objectives. A huge arsenal of warships, Planes, and new developments such as rockets hold the key to victory!
    Experience the complexities and excitement of war operations on the Pacific. Will victory be in your future? Go for it in P.T.O!(end). As you can see, it is a war game on warships and in the air.

Gameplay (10/10)
    This has such a great gameplay! you can go into a meeting of generals and ask for supplies, You can have a computer battle or you can have yourself battle during battles. You can lay mines, Invent new equipment such as rockets and better fighter jets. If a ship gets sunk, You can rebuild it and make it better such as a nuclear battle ship. You can play as U.S.A (Allies) or Japan. The battles are turn based some only have 5 turns and some have 12! (Hint if you have the game: Play as the U.S first because they invent stuff faster than Japan.)

Graphics (9/10)
    The graphics are really nice. the details of ships look pretty good, and when you are in port you can see a picture of an area. It all looks pretty nice!

Audio (10/10)
    The music for the game is very good! it is mostly war music but it sounds great! almost makes you want to hum it!

Replay value (20/10)
    The game is really great! there are 9 scenarios to cover the whole war, You can use different fleets to win and use different ships. You can play as U.S or Japan and it is up to two players!

Buy or rent (BUY BUY BUY)
    If you can get this game, you really should because there is a lot of good things about it! Like
    1. Command Allied or Japanese fleets
    2. 16 fleets at your control
    3. There are 9 scenarios to cover the entire war
    4. 250 historical maps
    5. Historically accurate maps
    6. 1 to 2 players!
    7. 10 difficulty levels!
    Doesn't this game sound great? I really think it does!

4. Otto

I also found a game called PTO II!
    here are some screenshots.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately still no homepages for these games.

[ 19 December 2001: Message edited by: Otto ]</p>

5. Ron

Ron Member

hey thanks for that Otto [​IMG]
    they sure did a better job at explaining the game than i did ;)
    But yeah regarding PTO II i want to get it somehow...but i had to look all OVER the place for my copy of PTO. Believe it or not it is not as popular as Karate games or something like that! haha :rolleyes:
    OH and I like the stocking on the network. ;) :cool: take care!

[ 19 December 2001: Message edited by: Ron ]</p>