Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Pvt. Herman Fittje, Rosters of Minnesota WWII Dead

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by sjkramer, Oct 27, 2009.

1. sjkramer

sjkramer Member

Hi again :).

I know I have another thread going but I'm wondering if anyone can offer advice on finding out some information about an uncle of mine. The only information I can find thus far is his name on a Minnesota Roster of WWII Dead. It offers scant information but does state that his next-of-kin confirmed to the Army his residence in MN and that his service number is 37305705. I've checked NARA to no avail -- I'm under the impression that you can't request records unless you're next of kin.

Are there any other records I can request that might give me his unit and some details of his death?

Any help would be great :)...

2. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

sjkramer and Buten42 like this.
  3. sjkramer

sjkramer Member

Ah, thanks Dave! I'd actually read that thread before but it didn't even occur to request that. Do you think it'll be possible to request an IDPF without knowing the date on which he was killed? The rosters for Minnesota are very scant on information -- just some numbers and a name but nothing else.

I'll get on it right away and thanks so much for the links :).

4. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

Yes, you can request the IDPF without the DOD. The key info for the
    AHRC is his ASN. Where is he buried, by the way?

Dave

5. sjkramer

sjkramer Member

I'm not sure where Herman is buried. Most likely in Minnesota, but I've found no record of that as of yet. I did speak to a distant cousin on my Fittje side this morning though and he relayed some interesting information about Herman. He had four brothers, all of whom served in WWII. He says that brother John was an infantry man that served with Patton in Europe and that brother Herb was in the Pacific. He was in some jungle battle, in which he got lost from the others, and when he came out of the jungle he was changed forever. One of the other brothers was my cousin's dad and he doesn't know about the other's service. Herman, on the other hand...

He says that right before the war Herman was drafted to pitch for the New York Giants but he went to war instead. Herman went to war and fought but on a ship transport home, his best friend was cleaning his rifle when it discharged and killed Herman. He was the only boy out of the five to did during WWII.

Anyway, I'm requesting the IDPF this morning and I'll keep everyone updated. I'd really like to learn more about ALL the boys service but short of requesting from NARA (which I can't do as I'm not next of kin), I don't know how to go about that...

6. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

If he was killed in transit, I would suspect his body was buried at sea.

Dave

7. sjkramer

sjkramer Member

Oh wow, that never occurred to me! I did look him up on NARA's WWII Dead Rosters and he shown as "DNB" so the that falls in line with the story my cousin gave me. I requested the IDPF this morning so I'll keep you all updated when (and if) it arrives...

8. sjkramer

sjkramer Member

Hi again all :).

I requested Herman's IDPF...but to no avail. They say they cannot locate a record. I have since found out that he was indeed buried in Minnesota so does anyone know of any other routes I might take to get more information on his death? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

9. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I came across it while doing some "housecleaning" in my section of responsibility. I realize this is an older thread, but I thought I'd see what I could find. After a little bit of effort, I tracked down his grave. He is buried at Nora Cemetery, just south of Bagley, Minnesota.

Pvt. Herman Fittje served with 69th Signal Battalion. He was born 5 Aug 1912 and died 1 Oct 1944. I couldn't find much on the 69th Sig Bn, but maybe someone else here can add more.

10. Natman

Natman Member

Pvt. Fittje's DOD doesn't jive at all with the 69th SB history. They landed at Utah Beach, 7/19/44, so his death onboard a ship going home on 10/1/44 is strange? I sent the OP a PM just to see if they're still around.

11. 36thID

36thID Member

Good job Tommy. Glad to see you and Natman following up on this soldier.

12. TD-Tommy776

You're right, Steve. That is a bit odd. A couple possibilities:

1.) The story is correct except for being on a ship going home.
    2.) He was wounded and was on a ship going home when he was killed. (Less likely, IMO)

Do you think there would be any point in making another request for his IDPF? I wonder if the OP left out the magic acronym FOIA from the original request. :huh:

Lest any be forgotten... :mourn:

13. Natman

Natman Member

I like option #1. Don't imagine soldiers on ships full of wounded troops still had their weapons.

Did a quick NARA search using the SN, no records found. Did another using the name "Fittje" and it brings up a "Harry" (from CA and a different SN of course) and that's it?

I've had no response from the OP either.

14. TD-Tommy776

Attached Files:

15. Natman

Natman Member

Yep, it's the same SN. Can a non-relative request an IDPF? If so, is the address in the link in post #2 above still good? I'll send in a new request if I can.

16. TD-Tommy776

Yes, in the first link of that post, go to #7 by kerrd5. That's the address I have been using.

17. Natman

Natman Member

Can non-relatives request an IDPF? I'm under the impression that they can't.

18. TD-Tommy776

I know of no prohibition. If you notice in Dave's post that I referenced, he submitted it as a FOIA request. I have used his letter as a template for non-relatives and have not had a problem getting an IDPF. Just adjust the particulars as necessary.

19. 36thID

36thID Member

If you write a personal letter or just a note about him they sometimes add additional info. The researchers there are excellent and take their job seriously.

20. Natman

Natman Member

Put a request in the mail last night, using the format in the old post. Hopefully that will be sufficent?