Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Pz.Jg G-13/Hetzer

Discussion in 'Weapons & Technology in WWII' started by TA152, Jan 23, 2003.

1. TA152

TA152 Ace

At Camp Mabry in Austin Texas they have a small museum with about 10 tanks and other exhibits, including this one they got from the Swiss. It looks smaller in person than it does in the pictures,but if you were in an allied tank it would look like the end !
    http://www.pzfahrer.net/switz-tx.html

2. CrazyD

CrazyD Ace

As far as I know, Allied tankers never would have faced a G-13. The G-13 was a post-war tank destroyer used by the Swiss that was basically an upgraded Hetzer. Bigger gun (as evidenced by the large muzzle-brake), and I velieve some minor modifications.
    The "Hetzer" at the museum in Texas is a G-13 that has been repainted and refurbished to resemble a Hetzer.
    "G-13 modified to Hetzer standard at Texas Military Forces Museum, USA;"
    http://www.achtungpanzer.com/hetzer.htm

Although the odd thing is, A.P. seems to contradict itself - The text on the Hetzer claims that when germany started the plans/designs for the Hetzer, they initially called it the G-13. And yet later on the page, A.P. clearly states that the G-13 was the post-war version used by the Swiss. So I'm not entirely sure what the deal is here, but if memory serves me correctly, Forty's Tanks Of World War2 also confirms that the G-13 was the post-war swedish version.

Aberdeen Proving Grounds also has a Hetzer- and they are TINY!!! One is almost suprised that the 75mm PaK39 even fits inside! The Hetzer is easily one of the more impressive german tank destroyers. The gun was not the best, but certainly suitable for taking out most allied tanks. And the small size of the Hetzer was a huge advantage. For ambushing, the Hetzer was ideal- the small size made it very hard to see when concealed. This advantage apparetly carried over into combat as well- even after firing it's weapon, the small size and silouette would make it rather difficult for enemies to score a hit on the Hetzer.

One of my books has a photo of an American GI walking past a knocked-out but still camoflaged (abandoned?) Hetzer... the GI is at least a foot taller than the vehicle!

The small size also made the Hetzer much easier and less costly to manufacture.

[ 04. April 2003, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: CrazyD ]

3. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

I've ridden in a hetzer before and they are very cramped. The one I rode in belonged to my old reenacting unit. www.2ndpanzerdivision.com . Their side armor was very weak and easy to pentrate, but they are very fast.

4. TA152

TA152 Ace

Thank you for the additional information Crazy.
    They have the "13" parked inside but all of the other tanks they have are parked outside and not displayed or taken care of very well, just parked side by side like at a shopping center and rusting. :mad:

5. CrazyD

CrazyD Ace

Unfortunately, the same is true of Aberdeen. All the vehicles (including a Hetzer, Jagdpanther, Jagdtiger, Brumbaar, Nashorn, and many more) are just parked outside. And even worse, some of them have cut-away sides so you can see inside- but this also lets all the New England weather in! The rusting and corrosion in some cases certainly looks beyond repair.
    And in addition, from the empty beer bottles and trash here and there, I'd guess it's (or was, pre 9/11) something of a party spot.

Oh well.

From what I understand, there is a tank museum in Kubinka, Russia- indoors, and with an impressive collection.
    Including one of the Karl-Gereate super heavy mortars! :eek: :eek:
    I'll make it there someday!

Panzergrenadiere, I remember you mentioning that before... I'm also pretty sure I checked you reenactor's group's website... and it looked impressive!
    (and from the inside view on the cut-away Hetzer at Aberdeen, "cramped" sounds like an understatement!)

[ 26. January 2003, 02:02 AM: Message edited by: CrazyD ]

6. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

The king tiger at the Patton muesum is cut away on the turret. :( Atleast its indoors.The Patton muesum takes out some of its vehicles for reenactments. I know there is a ww2 muesum in Alburn Indiana called the victory muesum. I'm not sure if they are open to the public yet, but they have alot of kick ass vehicles including a Marder III, a Hummel, and a bunch of other stuff.

7. George Parada

George Parada Member

As to text on AP! website, Germans designated their program G-13 and post-war Czechoslovak modified Hetzer for Swiss Army was designated G-13.