Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Question on John Hurst Edmoundson VC

Discussion in 'North Africa: Western Desert Campaigns 1940 to Ope' started by Fatboy Coxy, Mar 21, 2022.

1. Fatboy Coxy

Fatboy Coxy Member

Hi all,
    John Hurst Edmondson died of his wounds on 14th April 1941, at Tobruk, fighting in its defence, and received the Victoria Cross.

Here is a little more detail
    Biography - John Hurst Edmondson - Australian Dictionary of Biography

Does anyone know what German units were engaged in that action with his 2/17 Australian Infantry Battalion.

Andy Codd likes this.
  2. Andy Codd

Andy Codd New Member

Hi there, I recently listened to an Audio book of Peter FitzSimons account of Tobruk from the Australians perspective. It features Jack Edmondson and whilst I cannot recall if it details the units facing his patrol when he died, it was certainly detailed in the account of the action. I have never read any of FitzSimons books before but this really captured me enough to read his account of Kokoda and that really blew me away. I think everyone should read up about New Guinea, it reads as one hell of a story and along with Tobruk shows the true grit and heroism that were / are the Diggers.

Fatboy Coxy likes this.
  3. Andy Codd

Andy Codd New Member

Was having a further think over lunch, unfortunately all my books are in storage atm whilst we do up a new house but I would hazard a guess that the most likely contenders for your axis infantry would be the troops of Lt. Colonel Gustav Ponath's 8th Machine Gun Battalion. They were involved in the assault in the area of R33 trying to break the Australian's defence in order to allow the Panzers access. Hope that helps.

CAC and Fatboy Coxy like this.
  4. Owen

Owen O

Thought I was going a bit mad as I'm sure Andreas answered this query & mention 8 MG Bn but then remembered it was over on 2T.

Question on John Hurst Edmoundson VC

Fatboy Coxy and Andy Codd like this.
  5. Fatboy Coxy

Fatboy Coxy Member

Thank you for replying Andy Codd, and yes, I did try another forum, and found the answer there as Owen says

Andy Codd likes this.