Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Questions about enlisted record

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by glen miller, Dec 11, 2018.

1. glen miller

glen miller New Member

service outside the US, Destination: PT, US, AT, US. I think I know what the US and AT are, United States and Asiatic, but what would the PT be? Pacific Theater?

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Pacific Theater, ConUS, Alaskan Theater, ConUS?

3. glen miller

glen miller New Member

Thanks mate.

4. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

A poss. senario would be him coming back from the PTO, attending a school for some needed skill, then being assigned to the Alaskan theater where that skill was needed. Or he could have been assigned to a different unit that trained in the US for while before transferring en mass to Alaska, Kiska or Attu probably. The training would include "how to not freeze your ass off in Alaska" classes, I hope.

5. glen miller

glen miller New Member

He was 24 when he was inducted on 1 Oct. 41. Battles and Campaigns: Aleutians Islands (GO 33 WD 45) don't know what the numbers mean. Anti-tank guns (57mm. and 37mm) crewman (610) (instructor) at Ft. Benning, GA. Became Cpl. and Rifleman (Instructor) (745). again don't know what the numbers mean. Decorations and Campaigns: Asiatic pacific Service medal with 1 Bronze Star, American Defense Service Medal, and American Service Medal. What I find interesting is Alaska. Statehood was approved by Congress on July 7, 1958. so he was defending Alaska, owned by no one at the time, Foreign country?

6. lwd

lwd Ace

7. mcoffee

mcoffee Son-of-a-Gun(ner)

General Order 33, War Department, 1945

8. glen miller

glen miller New Member

Thanks

9. wolves69

wolves69 recruit

the numbers 610 and 745 are the numbers assigned by the Army for individual specialty codes. There is a master list somewhere that would have its job description.

10. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

11. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Not trying to make waves or nit-pix, but something just didn't add up with these Theaters of Operations. Several sources said the Aleution Campaign was in the American Theater. (couldn't find any reference to an Alaska Theater) Checked with other sources and they definitely show the Aleution Campaign was in the North Pacific Campaign of the Asiatic-Pacific Theater. (this is what the bronze campaign star on the Asiatic-Pacific Service Medal is for).
    There was no ground combat in the American Theater, Only Anti-Submarine.

World War II - Asiatic-Pacific Theater Campaigns | U.S. Army Center of Military History
    World War II - American Theater Campaign | U.S. Army Center of Military History

The following quote is from Wikipedia and I believe the last part is wrong-The Aleution Islands can't be in both the American Theater and Pacific Theater at the same time. I think whoever wrote this just presumed that since Alaska was a US Territory that it was in the American Theater.

"The Aleutian Islands Campaign was a military campaign conducted by the United States and Japan in the Aleutian Islands, part of the Alaska Territory, in the American theater and the Pacific theater of World War II starting on 3 June 1942."

[​IMG]

WILD DUKW likes this.
  12. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

It would help to see it printed on the original document. As it stands, it does not make much sense, unless it is intended to be:

Departed US for the Pacific Theater. returned to the US, departed the US for the Alaska Territory, returned to the US, which would match his service.

13. Buten42

Buten42 Member

I would especially like to see the dates. Box 36 on the separation document ( Service outside Continental U.S. and return) has three sections, Date of Departure, Destination, And Date of Arrival. (the whole document would really help).

RichTO90 likes this.
  14. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

If the OP would post the whole Separation Document it would help guide the discussion as well as answering some of the questions raised.