Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Questions about my grandfather...

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by stillwood, Nov 11, 2014.

1. stillwood

stillwood New Member

So I have a question. I didnt know my grandparents on my mothers side too well since they both died when I was very young. But my grandfather was a WW2 veteran (at least thats what his grave says). So I decided to check into it a little more and it says he didnt enlist until September 28th,1945, and was stationed in FL until December 20,1948 (he never left the country). If the war ended in September 2nd,1945, and he never left the country..what would he have been doing for those 3 years? Why would he be considered a veteran? Sorry, Im very new to learning about WW2. Was the US still on guard doing those years? He was in the Navy and was on the USS Corry. Thanks for any help.

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I have an uncle whose enlistment date was in 1946 and his grave marker indicates he was a WWII veteran. I have always presumed that it was because he served in Germany during the post-war occupation. Perhaps something similar applies to your grandfather.

I'm curious what document you have that states he was assigned to the USS Corry and yet never left the country. Here's a brief history of the USS Corry (DD-817):

(emphasis added)

I also came across a website with scans of an invitation to the 27 Feb 1946 commissioning ceremony of the USS Corry (DD-817). The invite appears to list the crew. Perhaps your grandfather is listed?

3. TheFonz

TheFonz recruit

The only thing that I can think of is that he is still considered a World War II veteran because President Truman did not sign an official declaration of an end of hostilities until December 31, 1946. Soldiers who served after September 1945 up until December 31, 1946 are still eligible to receive the Victory Medal.