Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

RAF Air Sea Rescue Info

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by RED RAF ASR, Aug 22, 2008.

1. RED RAF ASR

RED RAF ASR recruit

Hello,

I am looking for information about my Grandfather, James Robert Atkinson. He was a member of the Royal Air Force: Air and Sea Rescue. He was stationed at decoy air fields in Dumfrise, Scottland in the Scottish Moors, throughout World War II. I was wondering if there would be any records at all of his service during the War. And if so how I could obtain a copy of them? Also how could I find out if he had been awarded any medals during his time in the war? I am very interested in learning about my grandfathers history and his contribution during War time. If you could offer me any information, advice or guidance that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

2. GPRegt

GPRegt Member

First of all, welcome to the Forum. I hope you'l enjoy your time with us.

Now, to your query. You can get your Grandfather's Service Record. You'll find alll the relevant information for obtaining it here. He would have been awarded the Defence Medal, the War Medal and the 1939-45 Star. If they have not been claimed, then you should be able to get them.

Steve W.