Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Raise the Bismarck!!

Discussion in 'What If - European Theater - Western Front & Atlan' started by Andreas Seidel, Dec 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Dudek

John Dudek Member

I recall reading accounts that told of Russian armor/infantry attacks coming to a complete halt at the first impact of the Eugen's main battery. Don't forget, she could reach out and touch someone several miles inland- a discomforting thought if you are in the first, attacking wave. The Prinz Eugen was only one of many ships on the gun-line supporting the retreating German forces. The "Pocket Battleship"/Heavy Cruiser Scheer, the Light Cruisers Leipzig, Nurnberg and many destroyers and torpedo boats were there as well.

2. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Correct John !

I found what I was looking for. My friend Otto R. was one of the forward observers here. On the 11th of October 44 and the late afternoon of the 12th the Prinz and Lützow bombarded the hilly, wooded coastal strip around the town of Memel. Shore batteries returned fire but without effect, while attacks by torpedo-bombers were equally unsuccessful. by the 13th the Prinz was safely back at Gotenhafen after expending some 633 rounds from her main armament. The fire from this ship resulted in the message of thanks from the XXVIII Army Korps, Gross Deutschland Division. Thick fog blanketed the sea as the heavy units awaitedmrefuelling and replenishment of magazines in preparation for further bombardments of the advancing Soviets.
    Re-ammunitioning of the Lützow was delayed so the Prinz sailed without her on the 15th accompanied by Z35 T21 T13 and T9 at midnight of the 13/14th. Lützow followed later. On the afternoon of the 14th bombardments started again, another 246 rounds being fired in support of the ground forces ashore. Later in the afternoon the Lützow added to the shelling and both ships retreated for the night. By morning it all recommenced. In all, 18 targets were engaged. The Prinz expened 368 rounds. More to come.......

E

3. Andreas Seidel

Andreas Seidel Member

The wrecks used in the marine atomb bomb test are no longer radioactive. This caused quite a disturbance when it was deiscovered because they should have been. By now the view is that the water "washed off" all radioactivity probably within years after the test, and distributed it evenly throughout the world's oceans. So that wouldn't be a problem.

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

I was wondering WHY, my hair was glowing green at night--now I know ;) :D

5. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Got my shades on for the blast...... ! Watch out Carl my hair is Red....actually it is. :eek: :eek:

:D :D :D E

6. John Dudek

John Dudek Member

More importantly than green-glowing, or red hair, Guys. If your testicles shrivel to the size of raisens and you lose all your manly traits, deep voice and sex drive, you'll know that you've been too close to the radioactivity core.lol :D :eek: :mad:

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Heh heh heh.

Question?

What happens when you put Erich brown and Carl E. next to each other?
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '
    '