Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Ranking WW2's Particpating Nations POW Treatment

Discussion in 'Countries, People and their part in WWII' started by JJWilson, Mar 20, 2018.

1. JJWilson

JJWilson Well-Known Member

Hello Everybody, this has been a subject I've been curious about for quite some time. I have known for a very long time that the Germans, Japanese, and Soviets were among the most brutal captors among the other warring nations at the time. I want to get a clearer picture of the treatment of POW's in the major participants of WW2, an would appreciate any info and sources you send my way. I will rank these nations by how brutally they treated their prisoners, this is purely off of the info I have read and seen in my lifetime. They will be ranked from lowest amounts of Brutality to highest.

14. Canada

13. Australia

12. United States

11. United Kingdom

10. France

9. Finland

8. Hungary

7. Romania

6. Italy

5. Yugoslavia

4. China

3. USSR

2. Japan

1. Germany

2. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

USSR was certainly the worst, then Japan and then Germany. Germany third because they treated western prisoners fairly well most of the time, but were brutal to Soviet prisoners.

3. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Britain tended to treat German and Italian prisoners well through fear of retaliation against their own, but that continued even after the war was finished.
    PoWs going home to the British zone in Germany were allowed to take foodstuffs in short supply with them. They were also given all the money which had been put aside weekly for them from their pay during captivity.

JJWilson likes this.
  4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Australia was home to the largest breakout of the war/in history...with over a thousand Japanese storming the fences...once out, few surrendered a "second time".
    Cowra breakout - Wikipedia

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JJWilson likes this.
  5. JJWilson

Yes I have heard of that actually, was it 4 or 5 Aussies that died, and some 200 Japanese?

6. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

4 Australians - 231 Japanese - 108 injured.
    Worth noting -
    • No complaints regarding treatment had been made by or on behalf of the Japanese before the incident, which appeared to have been the result of a premeditated and concerted plan;
    • The actions of the Australian garrison in resisting the attack averted a greater loss of life, and firing ceased as soon as they regained control;
    • Many of the dead had committed suicide or been killed by other prisoners, and many of the Japanese wounded had suffered self-inflicted wounds.[citation needed]
    Would totally recommend watching the series.

7. JJWilson

Well there you go..........

8. Takao

Takao Ace

Wasn't there another Japanese POW incident "Down Under"...Camp Featherston or something like that? It's been a while and I am fuzzy on remembering the details.

9. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Do tell...haven’t heard of it...but that doesn’t mean much.

10. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The Japanese kept women and children, families of civilian fathers, in near starvation conditions in places like Santo Tomas prison in Manila.

Gen. Anami, the War Minister in August, 1945, dictated that all 140,000+ Allied POWs, men, women and children, would be executed when the first Allied boot touched the beaches of Kyushu. Allied POWs were used in the bio-warfare experiments of Unit 731.

They got nuked during the war and Godzilla attacked them at least twice by 1955.

A-58, LRusso216, JJWilson and 3 others like this.
  11. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Top post.

12. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

And at the top of the utterly needless PoW cruelty table, we have Japan, Japan & Japan.
    Closely followed by Japan, and then maybe a few Balkan nations.

While it's probably foolish and/or pointless to look for some sort of relativism in cruelty, and both Germany and the USSR killed each other's captives, worked, starved and beaten to death, they still don't even approach the Japanese for sheer systematic abuse and cruelty towards military prisoners.
    They were uniquely awful in this regard.

The militarist death-cult that gripped the nation from high to low meant they were the aggressor in every C20th conflict they engaged in, and took that aggression to the lowest level against defenceless diseased people they had starved to stick men. It's remarkable how many survived, and even more remarkable how many of them kept their sanity & humanity.

tumblr_osnhby2R7L1s7e5k5o1_500.jpg

(Gavan Daws's book 'Prisoner of the Japanese' is an excellent PoW's eye view of things to get started on the incredibly grim history, though even just scratching the surface reveals tale after tale of pointless inhumanity.
    Cartoonist Ronald Searle's images of his PoW life also worth seeking out.)

searlewar.gif

0af2487c60ece0c6899e84074d4aeda7--ronald-searle-illustration-artists.jpg

A-58, Owen, LRusso216 and 7 others like this.
  13. mcoffee

mcoffee Son-of-a-Gun(ner)

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption, the Louis Zamparini story is another...

KJ Jr and von Poop like this.
  14. OpanaPointer

15. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

How many German/Italian prisoners ever returned from the Soviet Union? Not very many. Certainly a lower percentage of Soviet vs Japanese prisoners survived. The Soviets had the advantage of arctic conditions to aid them in killing off their starved prisoners, though the Japanese tried as hard as they could to keep up.

At any rate, I'll keep the Soviets in the #1 position until someone proves otherwise.

16. OpanaPointer

My mother lived down the road from a Italian POW camp in WWII. She trade fresh veggies and fruit for wooden carved flatware and serving pieces. The guards in the towers had no problem with her making deals through the fences.

17. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

One of the things that make it my favourite FEPoW image.
    'Atom Bombs you say? Marvellous!'

18. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

It is of course impossible to rank such things in a crowded field of subjective awfulness, though to my eye the Soviet/German treatment of each other's captives has that banal feeling of dead-eyed bureaucratic neglect. Forms filled out and left to rot among bored criminal guards.
    The Japanese, however, pursued the brutality with bright-eyed enthusiasm. It was rewarded and celebrated. Seen as true service to the state & God-Emperor, with that hint of associated religious approval.
    A bit too keen.

KodiakBeer likes this.
  19. OpanaPointer

One of the best "I'm not dead because of..." things. One year at Purdue we had a WWII veteran take the WWII class. He was very quiet during most of it, but when the prof asked him about the bombs he said "I'm here today because of them." Gave the bright young faces some reality.

JJWilson and von Poop like this.
  20. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Old Jock McCallum who lived across from my parents was on the Burma Railway. He looked about 120 when he died, and he was only 82 or something. He always walked like a half-shut knife.