Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Ransome and Marles bearings factory bombing on March 7, 1941

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by noggin1969, Mar 11, 2015.

Tags:
  1. noggin1969

noggin1969 New Member

Hope this is in the right section . I have been doing some research into the bombing of the Ransome & Marles bearing factory in Newark Nottinghamshire on March 7 1941. I had two great aunts and a grandad that worked there during the war. Both aunts were at work on the day and survived the attacks. My grandad was not at work on the day but also worked as an Auxilary Fireman and turned up to help only to be injured by a second raider that attacked the works an hour later. I have traced the 2 crews but am hoping to fill in a few blanks. 1st aircraft was a Heinkel He 111 H6 of 1KG 4 out of Soesterburgh crew were Lt Gunter Rudolph , Lt Bernhard Metzmacher , Uffz Anton Gruper and Burghard Hahn. Rudolph , Hahn were KIA and Gruper WIA 8/2/42 when He 111 5J+JH was hit by flak near Celadice Slovakia ( also KIA was Hans Schwarz ) Metzmacher was promoted to Oberleutnant 43 and also gained the DKiG in 43 but I can't find anymore records after this.
    Second aircrew was in a Heinkel He 111 H6 of 6KG 4 out of Eindhoven were Oberleutnant Ulrich Knauth , Ofw Johann Schumm , Ofw Kurt Hell , Ofw Heinz Moller , Uffz ? Berger. I have full details of Knauth up to his death in 1974 in Madrid Spain. Schumm was KIA 10/44 , Hell was WIA 29/9/42 no record after that , Moller gained the DKiG 1/4/43 but no record after that , Uffz Berger I have no record of at all due to no christian name. Anymore details will be very much appreciated or any way of finding more details

Cheers Shaun

2. noggin1969

noggin1969 New Member