Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Rare Bergepanther recovered from Polish river.

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by GRW, Oct 18, 2023.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

And sometimes local legends can be trusted.
    "A lost Nazi tank has been dragged from its watery grave after nearly 80 years, revealing the only surviving Panzer of its kind in the world.
    For decades, local legend said that the Nazis lost several tanks retreating across the Czarna Nida river near Bieleckie Młyny, southern Poland, in 1945.
    The legends were proved to be true when two incomplete Panzers were dragged from the river in 1990 and 2003 respectively, but there were still reports that there was another.
    Now that vehicle has been found too, with history buffs unearthing a unique Bergepanther – a tank that tows tanks – which may be the last of its kind.
    And the vehicle could be worth a fortune, with a similar model fetching €15m (£13m) in Germany two years ago, according to local media.
    Michał Kęszycki, technical manager of Panzer Farm – which organised the salvage operation – traced the discovery back 30 years.
    He said: 'The story begins in the early 90s when an old man showed my uncle the place where the vehicle sunk. The story was, that there was a tank which pulled other tanks.
    'The old guy knew a little about German tanks and he told my uncle it was a Panther tank without a turret.
    'The guy was old and he just showed the place, but not exactly. We found the exact place a few months ago with a magnetometer.'"
    www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12646349/Rusting-Nazi-Panzer-tank-discovered-Polish-river-nearly-80-years-sank-retreat.html

Slipdigit and OpanaPointer like this.
  2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Having driven past the air plane grave yards in the American Southwest I know how much danger historical items can be in after the war is over..

3. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

Excellent find.

4. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

The Panther pulled out of the same river in 1990 ended up with the Littlefield Collection in California and was restored. Good video here below.

Poland is now claiming that the Panther was illegally exported and as such should be returned to the country.

GRW likes this.