Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

RARE German Mauser Target Rifle - Wehrmannsgewehr Variation

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by buckstix, Jan 17, 2013.

1. buckstix

buckstix recruit

RARE German Mauser Target Rifle

Hello All,
    I recently acquired another WWII GI Bring-Back Wehrmannsgewehr. (Serviceman's Rifle) This is a rather rare variation and I have never seen one of these in person until now. I've only seen pictures. There seems to be very little information around about these, and I'm wondering if any forum members own one, or have seen one of these before. It is called a "Wehrmanns-Scheiben-Buchse".

It is a single-shot, with a solid steel "tube" type receiver. It has only a small opening for inserting and ejecting the 8.15x46R target cartridge. The top of the receiver has a "T-slot" for an axillary diopter sight. This is similar to the auxilliary sight used on the Einheitsgewehr. The finish around the slot on this rifle is unmarred so I think it never had one of these sights in place. I would of course like to find such a diopter sight, if anyone knows the where-a-bouts of where one might be had, or at least pictured.

One of the unusual stampings found on the rifle is a small "star" before the serial number on the barrel . I have never seen this before and would like to know if anyone would have an idea what this is?
    Top of barrel behind the rear sight is marked "BLG. Sch. H." for "lead bullets".
    Also, the bottom of the barrel is marked: "156.14" - "7.7" - "8.05" - "360" & "CH15". I recognize all these marks (gage, bore, groove, & twist) except for the "CH15" mark, I don't know this one either.
    The stock shows a much worn "DKP" faded brand. In researching, I found reference to DKP meaning "Deutschkonservative Partei" - "Deutches Conservative Party" from about 1900 until 1918. I also found a reference to DKP meaning "Deutsche Kommunistische Partei" - "Deutsches Communist Party", but that "DKP" didn't start until after 1968, so I'm thinking this DKP must be in reference to the former party. The stock also has an interesting silver shooting "plaque" from the 20th Deutsches Bundessschiessen held in Leipzig in 1934.

Although the rifle exhibits considerable handling marks, it still has a MINT bore. Everything is original and matching except for a single rear triggerguard screw which has a different number. And, as my luck would have it, this rifle has a very obvious "duffel-bag" cut. But, it does NOT have the typical kind of cut that is neatly hidden under the forend band like most - this one is cut right in the open directly in the center of the lower forearm between the front cap and the forward band. I sure wish I knew what the "$#@%" was this GI thinking when he did this?
    Any and all comments are welcome.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

belasar likes this.
  2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Welcome to the forum, and a great post!

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

4. buckstix

buckstix recruit

Yes, that's an old post from 2006. You'll see I have posted recently there also.

5. jagdwaffensammler

jagdwaffensammler New Member